w3c standards

silver

Most of the jobs in this field ask for the knowledge of W3C standards...:D

I am a web designer, i need to know what rules to follow for W3C standards when designing or coding a site, please any expert can help me out on this... i have some of my friends who are into web designing but they also are not aware of the W3C standards :eek:.

Thanks,
Silver

northpark

http://www.w3.org/standards/

Validate the html and css while you are building them

http://validator.w3.org/
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

and fix errors as you go.

Creating sites with valid code means they are more likely to display consistently across different browsers.

Also you should follow the accessibility guidelines

http://www.w3.org/standards/webdesign/accessibility

For certain types of site like medical, government etc, it can be against the law if they are not accessible to the blind etc.

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
... i have some of my friends who are into web designing but they also are not aware of the W3C standards :eek:.

Wow well you can one up them and teach them something now :). FYI, websites that do not meet w3c standards are also going to have a tougher time ranking well in SEs. Northpark provided some great resources, I would bookmark some of them.

@northpark

I took a peak at your website...very clean design and nice choice of color. I like really like it, well done.

Last edited:

jonweb2009

FYI, websites that do not meet w3c standards are also going to have a tougher time ranking well in SEs.

Really pixel that is good to hear.

Silver W3C standards are set rules how you have code your html and css. Actually it is interesting to set to your site to comply standards.

It is not that tough but very interesting.

After completing your site you can use the validator to verify

here is another site

validator.ca

aracaris

What about the validation tool in dreamweaver? Does it work to the extent it should?

No, it does not, I wouldn't recommend relying too much on it. There's some things that the one in CS4 does not catch (don't know how earlier versions are). For example I found several errors in YouTube video codes that the W3C validator on the W3C site caught, but the one in DreamWeaver did not.

As far as errors affecting SEO, they can, but I'm pretty sure it depends upon the particular errors.
Does something like not fixing YouTube code (I usually do anyways but still, is it really necessary?), or using Paypal's invalid code (some Paypal code can cause quite a large amount of errors), really hurt SEO? I don't think it does, but maybe someone can clarify whether it does or not for sure.
I'm a big fan of running your website through W3C's validator, and really going through whatever errors that show up, but I'm skeptical of it always being necessary to fix ALL of them, there are a lot of aps that aren't valid, and I haven't heard of that necessarily harming a website's ranking, or even functionality (though many errors can do one or both of those things, and those ones really should be fixed).

Last edited:

northpark

W3c set the standards and the reason standards exist is so that websites function as intended and expected in the various web browsers available.

Dreamweaver uses w3c so I can't imagine there being any difference when it validates a site.

Firefox web developer addon has links in its toolbar for all available w3c validators as well as loads of other tools.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/60

Valid code is not just "interesting" to a web designer, it's expected if you are being paid to code.

I've started using some css3 like textshadow properties which obviously don't validate at the moment but will eventually. I'll need to take a look at the new html5 even though I think xhtml is just fine :mad:

validator.ca uses w3c

aracaris

W3c set the standards and the reason standards exist is so that websites function as intended and expected in the various web browsers available.

Dreamweaver uses w3c so I can't imagine there being any difference when it validates a site.

Firefox web developer addon has links in its toolbar for all available w3c validators as well as loads of other tools.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/60

Valid code is not just "interesting" to a web designer, it's expected if you are being paid to code.

I've started using some css3 like textshadow properties which obviously don't validate at the moment but will eventually. I'll need to take a look at the new html5 even though I think xhtml is just fine :mad:

validator.ca uses w3c

I like to have my code be valid as much as possible, but sometimes I actually have clients that want me to use code for something or other that isn't valid. I really need to find some more aps (music players and the like) out there that use valid code so that I can show it to clients as a potential alternative. In many cases it's very easy to fix bad code for music/video, but some of the music aps out there I'm not sure quite how to get to validate without breaking yet.
There's still been times I've had to convince clients not to have me do table based layouts too, argg! And those can be really bad for SEO.

EDIT: one more note on validation, sometimes hosting services will add their own invalid code to your pages too, one that I'm using has started doing this, so watch out for that kind of thing happening. Think I'm going to call them and see if they'll remove it, if not maybe I'll be switching services. I've used hosting services before only to find they added a whole bunch of junk code to pages, and have dropped such services for that kind of thing in the past.

Last edited:

northpark

Sometimes you just need to say no to clients. I have used googlemaps on 2 sites recently and they don't validate ( i'll start a new thread about that ) but I decided the 2 errors i'm getting are worth it. The sites are still accessible as the address is there in plain text and the errors won't interfere with other parts of the site.

Tables have their place but never for layout. I'm building a site at the moment for a printer which displays a tabular price list. It'll be the first time i've used a table in a website in a few years :)

@aracaris

pm me about music players. Feels like i'm hijacking this thread :p

Last edited: