Views on my site.

j1mb0jay

Please can you tell me what you think of my website? This is the first time I have used asp.net version 2, and I would like to know what people think of the site. All posts would be greatly useful especially posts with criticism as I would to get this site up to scratch as soon as possible.

http://xscreen.quadratica.co.uk

Regards j1mb0jay (18)

Arkette

The first thing I got was a screen saying that the browser I'm using (Firefox) is not supported and I have to use IE6 or 7. This is NetWeb suicide! According to the most current Stats Firefox user-agents now accounts for 47% of most website traffic and in the IE camp something like 60% are still using v5.5
Making a site cross-browser can be a pain in the rear, but it can be done with a bit of research and patience, simply blocking all but the browser you used in the design process is not a valid strategem.

j1mb0jay

Firefox

I am having huge problems allowing people to use firefox to view my site. I have take the code out so know you can view the "site" using firefox, but all of the graphics are in the wrong place, the mouse over effects on the buttons do not work properly, the site isnt even centered in the page correctly. Please can you help me out.

I have tried adding <BrowerCaps> to the web.config file and this didnt seem to make any difference at all.

Arkette

I have had a quick look at your source code and it looks fairly typical of the kind of markup the VS2005 form designer will spit out which is targeted specifically at IE browsers. I suggest as a starting point you go to www.w3schools.com and started getting to grips with CSS, standards compliant markup and tableless design techniques. There's a lot to learn here but at the end you will be able to design truly cross browser sites.

j1mb0jay

Thank you. Will have a look in to it. Just was hoping there would be a simpler fix other than recoding the whole site layout.

Thanks for your time.

Regards James

netricksdotcom

" This is NetWeb suicide! According to the most current Stats Firefox user-agents now accounts for 47% of most website traffic and in the IE camp something like 60%"

Just a quick little comment about this post... I am not sure where you are getting your numbers from, but being a web developer and actively managing several hundren websites, Firefox can't even smell 47%. Sorry to say that all you IE bashers. Don't get me wrong, I have no love for IE, I just want to point out that your numbers are significantly wrong, let alone your math seems a bit off too... :confused:

I do think it is a good policy to design your websites to be cross browser compatible. Indeed. Though not quite "Suicide" if you don't. It really comes down to Money. If the client wants to spend the extra dough, we do it, if not, we don't. And to tell the truth, if anyone is commiting suicide, it is the Firefox developers. I think it is their responsibility to make their browser 100% compatible with the norm. I guarantee they would get a bigger market share if they did.

So now, If you want to know the truth about %, do your own poll. Check the stats of multiple high traffic site. PR1 and 2 sites as well as sites up to PR5 and 6. Here is what I have found:
MS Internet Explorer 92.3 %
Firefox 3.9 %
Opera 1.3 %
Safari 1.3 %
Unknown 1.0 %
Mozilla 0.2 %

Actual stats.

True.

Last edited:

j1mb0jay

Browser Caps

I have added the latest version of browserCaps to my web.cofig file, but I still have the problem of the layout of the site not looking right in anything other than IE6 and 7 and i dont want to have to block calls from other browsers. I have used VS2005 to create the site (aspx page using c#)

Please can someone help me........

Regards James