Using micro-sites for geographic targeting

insafeuste

Hey guys,
I've done quite a bit of research on this topic but have yet to find a definitive answer. I am establishing a PC repair business and have found a number of available urls for some more specific suburbs that I feel may be useful in terms of seo. More specifically domains such as wallingfordespcrepair.com, hayespcrepair.com, kurtlandpcrepair.com (noticing a pattern here?) are all available and I feel that someone may specifically type these keywords into a google search. The only domain I own at the moment is mystatespcrepair.com, and I'm wondering if I should create small sites for each area that use some region specific keywords, but have these micro-sites ultimately link back to mystatespcrepair.com if a visitor is looking for more information on services or looking to read my blog. Would I be best off just creating subdomains for each region under the main mystatespcrepair.com website? Or could I use a 301 redirect for these keyword specific domains and have them point to their respective subdomain of mystatespcrepair.com? Sorry if this is unclear, but ultimately my goal is to target specific suburbs of my area using multiple domains and I am wondering if there will be any penalties for doing so. Thanks in advance for any advice.

chrishirst

Staff member
wondering if there will be any penalties for doing so
Yes.

An empty bank account.

By the way, on your keyboard there is a large squareish key labelled with a arrow and may say "Enter" or "Return" on it. ....

Try USING it occasionally to space out the text so we can actually read it.

insafeuste

Okay thank you for the advice.

I had no idea there was already a name for this or that it was widely frowned upon.

I guess if I really wanted to target each suburb individually I would have to build completely different sites for each region and try to build up each one, which would just end up being too much work.

Thanks for the informative links.

chrishirst

Staff member
Nope, you just need one website and build that into an authoritative source for whatever services you provide, if you have a physical presence in a particular area/suberb then just has a section in a subfolder for that particular office will suffice