User Editable Website

kobesunset

Hi, I want to create a simple site where users can build and create a profile for themselves or for other people. All profiles can be edited by any user assuming that the user can correctly answer some security questions correctly. Security questions/answers may different for each profile.

I have no idea how to even start a project like this as I only know HTML and CSS. What's the first step?

Thank you

johnscott

Well, it sounds like your project is going to have a lot of server-side processing and logic...so you'll have to decide which programming language to use (php, asp, asp.NET, python, etc) Any language that allows a connection to a database. Javascript won't help you as it is a client-side language and wouldn't be able to access the server where you're going to want keep all this profile information.

If you only know html and css, this could take quite a bit of time, since learning a new programming language and all it's nuances could take years.

But, once you have decided on a language, you're going to have to select the type of database you are going to use. Free databases include MS Access, SQL Express, MySQL. I'm sure there are some others, but those are the ones I'm familair with.

Build your database first (learn about primary keys and normalization) Then once your database is set up with all the tables you're going to need to store your profile information correctly, then start building the user interface for it.

A very ambitious project!! Good luck.

orangecopper

your requiremnt can be satisfied by

- Drupal
- Joomla
- mambo
- Buddypress ( multi user platform of wordpress )

which one u want help on?
cheers
Josh

zach

alstonfered

It seems like its just a starting of your project.
First of all you have to select on which platform you want to develop your website.
You can go for asp.net where you can find inbuilt membership component so it will be easy for you task.

uptownhr

Hi, I want to create a simple site where users can build and create a profile for themselves or for other people. All profiles can be edited by any user assuming that the user can correctly answer some security questions correctly. Security questions/answers may different for each profile.

I have no idea how to even start a project like this as I only know HTML and CSS. What's the first step?

Thank you

Is there going to be any social networking elements or is it really just the ability to edit a profile page?

camilo.nevarez

dude, just design a site with the basic idea in mind. then take that site and get developers to offer up.. dont tell to many people about this cause i think its a good idea you couldnve sold to someone, but now, im gonna be a millionaire!!!!

scept1c

I think Joomla can be recommended since there are different extensions and templates that can help you at the beginning while you're deciding which area to get deeper into. I'm going to study one of this, too.
Regards, Eugene.

SusmitaShen

I can't point you to a pre-existing one, but I've found the use of PHP sessions to be very useful for this purpose.

For user profiles, you'll want to use a database like MySQL, but research PHP sessions for user authentication (login system).

I have scripts, but I use them privately, and there's far too much to explain here in this little box, but PHP sessions will get you just what you want.

scept1c

thanks SusmitaShen, I think learning PHP will provide more results on developing a good website than just using templates, but I have to start with something.