useful school?

Paolo

I ' d like to start a career as a web designer but in my research to gather information I came across a large number of schools that give you all sort of certificates for all sort of prices (one offered a microsoft certificate for £4000!!!)
I also noticed tha there are loads of tutorials available that cover all aspects of web designing at all levels and I've found quite easy to follow them in creating a primitive web site. From there, I guess, is only a matter of dedication and passion in order to get some good results in web design.
Now my question is : I'd love to be a web designer but if I can learn on my own what is the utility of a web designer school? Is there anything I'm missing in the picture?
Can anybody enlighten me?

ISDProductions

If you want to design, I would suggest take a few graphic design courses (or read as many tutorials as you can find and use trial versions of the software)
HTML and Programming are just half...you need to have strong skills in graphic design and creativity for the other half, unless you just want to do the backend of sites. If you just want to learn PHP, ASP, HTML, etc... I would suggest you save your money and teach yourself. I have no problem hiring someone who has taught themselves over someone who has some degree. In fact, I find that those who have taught themselves are much better, and eager to work (thus I pay them more). Good Luck