Urgent

benjamin.morgan

First off , if at all possible add css to an external file. Also avoid using tables for ANYTHING other than tabular data. Use CSS for your navigation

NYWebWorx

I like the color scheme. Previous poster was right. CSS should external and you might want to fix your graphics so they aren't so stretched out. Its a good start.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
the graphics look bad, and the tables make it extremely dated.
also dont offer seo if you cant provide it, or understand it.

www.smarthousestore.co.uk (our client)

Type in Google: home automation
Google Page: #1 beating 31 million

I got to page 12 on google and still no result.
this was the meta details for that page
HTML:
<meta name="description" content="Default Description" /> <meta name="keywords" content="Magento, Varien, E-commerce" />

after a while stack of scripts the first content a search engine would see is
HTML:
<p><strong>We detected that your JavaScript seem to be disabled.</strong></p>                 <p>You must have JavaScript enabled in your browser to utilize the functionality of this website.</p>
then after ages skimming through tables and lists, tables and lists, it then comes to a doubled up <p> tag
</span>
HTML:
<p class="Text-3"><p>"Smarthousestore" is the online retail store for the UK's best known Home Automation company "Smarthouse", the only name in home automation that you are guaranteed to be familiar with. So, if you want professionally qualified and experienced people working on your project, be Smart call Smarthousestore. 0845 8622134</p></p>
and on it goes...
there are no h1-h6 anywhere, unneeded nesting, and SE really struggle with tables as they assume them to be tabular data and read as such!

so... back to the drawing board with "SEO" services, and please remove that lie regarding your "client" getting #1.
bwahahahaha! so not true!

also I must admit that it seems that the "client" of yours has a website, which, even thgough it has faults, appears far more superior than the one you have presented.
not only that but the two options you've offered up in your "websites" tab, seem to be along the same lines as what you've created, not this "smarthouse" site. I believ you can pull the wool over prospective clients eyes, but thats the work of another designer!

back to your site it is a train wreck. start again. thats the best advice I can give you.

Fireproofgfx

The overall color scheme makes me feel like its a rainy day and that's no fun, so you need to work on the colors. Now don't get discouraged as you read on, we all started out this way. With that said, Your title is "True Graphics" but the graphics are truly bad. For instance your banner graphic is shrunk down and out of proportion, if you are true graphics then you would make a nice graphic to fit across the top not just half way across the top not to mention that was probably a stock photo you found on the net, again not selling your name of "True Graphics"

For your portfolio, I would suggest utilizing Jquery it will help showcase your work better.
Don't use tables try to learn how to use DIVs.

Keep your head up, and keep working at it, you will only get better.

Fireproofgfx

Phreaddee, if you type in "home automation UK" it does come in 4th but when I just typed in "home automation" only local places popped up. But you are correct, it looks like all he did was add a few keywords and call it SEO. The coding, besides the use of tables, looks different as well. I guess that's what he meant when he said "client', as in you attempted to help by adding faulty SEO. If you didn't design the site I would put a disclaimer next to it stating "The only portion of this site I actually did was the SEO" or "I did not take part in any of the design aspects of this site, only the SEO"

Nathan Joshua

Try using Dreamweaver for a while to get to grips with CSS/HTML intergration.

I would also suggest playing with Photoshop and watching some online tutorials about the tools used in Photoshop.

There is a lot to learn. We've all been at the stage you are at now. Press on, it's worth the time and effort!

Good luck! ;)

purity

Web Standards

I honestly think you need to do some studying before you design for other people. I would start with Designing With Web Standards by jeffrey zeldman. There is a reason we don't use tables or embedded styling anymore, and you'll find out why if you read this book.

Do your homework if you are serious.