Typical fees for website design

AusQB

I wasn't sure where to put this thread, it didn't seem to fit in the Web Trader section, so please move it if it more appropriate somewhere else.

What is a typical cost/pricing structure for web design/development?

Should it be by hourly rate, per page, an up front commission or a combination of these?

I'm going to assume that it boils down to the client market and personal preference/status.

larrysw

I think normally people charge per page and then adjust based on the type of objects on the page such as flash elements.

conor

what I usually do, when I am not dealing with an online client is; meet the client, discuss what they want and assess for myself how time consuming the project will be. Then I give them a fixed price quote there and then, if I have calculated it wrong then it's tough luck!

One thing to be sure to mention is; This quote will not change unless the client requests something further, on top of what we have discussed in the meeting.

I think that this is a good policy because I know how much is coming in and the clients don't need to worry about unexpected bills.