Two Questions. (+Karma)

Peege

Hey Helpful People!

So I have a couple of questions about my site. I am pretty much a beginner to web development stuff, so I appreciate patience.

First off, with my host bluehost, the FTP management system and I aren't getting along... I try to upload a page that already exists (replace please..?) and it says it exists so I have to delete the file and then upload the newer one of the same name. I don't like this because
A) there are moments of 404...
B) it seems to mess with the structure of my site...

To explain B further... shiftedrecording.com isn't what I want my homepage to be. shiftedrecording.com/index.html IS what I want it to be. Should't that just have already replaced the shiftedrecording.com page...?

This may sound really amateur so I apologize. my next question is a little more technical.

*EDIT* I just had to clear my cache... moving on...

if you navigate through my site, you'll notice the studio page has a scroll bar on the right side of it. I really don't know why, there's nothing below but more blank space. I am assuming that's what pushes the entirety of my site a few pixels to the left... the browswer is compensating for the space taken up by the scroll bar. Is there anyway to FORCE no scrolling?

Thanks A Lot!!
-Patrick

Last edited:

chrishirst

Staff member
site.tld/index.html IS what is being served out for a request to site.tld, as it is a default document.

If you want index.html to appear in the URL THAT IS HOW you should link to it.

there's nothing below but more blank space.
"blank space" is only blank if there is nothing in it.

Your "blank space" has a stack-up of padding and margin from fixed height elements in the source code.

Peege

How would that happen? All these pages reference the same style.css page, and the studio.html page doesn't have any html or embedded style elements that would add the space at the bottom...

Peege

Any ideas what it could be?

How to phrase this...

Do you think the scroller with the gear list creates "imaginary space" beneath the visible portion of the scroll box to store the contents one would scroll to...?

I didn't build that part of the page so I'm not sure, but that's really the only thing that's different about the studio.html than all the other page.

chrishirst

Staff member
Put borders on elements so you can see where they are and what is causing the expansion.