Two Column Layout Not Working

dnpeterson

I am TRYING to make a two column layout, with the main content on the left and the secondary, small list on the right.

What happens (with every way that I've tried it so far) is that when the right side doesn't have enough content to be long enough for the left side, the column doesn't go all the way down, and the different colors show. It is extremely irritating, and if somebody could help me fix this, that would be FANTASTIC!

What is going wrong:
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/6762/examplexg.png

smoovo

Don't panic... Here is your solution ;).

1. You need div that contains the both columns, we'll call it "container".
2. Inside the container we have 2 divs. One called "l_column" the second "r_column".
3. Last div will clear the float settings for the content that will come after.

The code:
HTML:
<div id="page">
    <div class="l_column">Your left column content here.</div>
    <div class="r_column">Your right column content here.</div>
    <div class="clear"></div>
</div>

5. Style the divs with their properties.

The code:
HTML:
#page {
	width:700px; 
	overflow:hidden;
}

#page div {
	margin-bottom:-1000px; 
	padding-bottom:1000px;
}

.l_column {
	float:left; 
	width:500px; 
	background:#333;
}

.r_column {
	float:right; 
	width:200px; 
	background:#777;
}

.clear {
	clear:both;
        height:1px;
}

Explanation:
The inside divs will get longer height and then will be minimized back to trick the shorter div. The container will be set as "overflow:hidden" to hide the unused space from both columns, but, with respect to the longer one.

You should change the width to your real used sizes in your page. Other styles for your content will be added to these divs.

You can see example at my website - Demo.

- Enjoy.

Last edited:

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't panic... Here is your solution ;).

1. You need div that contains the both columns, we'll call it "container".
2. Inside the container we have 2 divs. One called "l_column" the second "r_column".
3. Last div will clear the float settings for the content that will come after.

The code:
HTML:
<div id="page">
    <div class="l_column">Your left column content here.</div>
    <div class="r_column">Your right column content here.</div>
    <div class="clear"></div>
</div>

Using a empty div to clear floats is bad practice. Just add this to the float containing element:
Code:

LouTheDesigner

Clear divs are very common, and i fixed the IE divs problem.

There are many things that web designers commonly do that they ought not do. Empty divs will necessitate more code to be loaded, and for more code to be sorted through when making updates.

-Lou

smoovo

Thanks for the advise. I will read more about it at the W3C and i will re-post, maybe I'm wrong and it's better not to use it :rolleyes:.

Thank you.

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Clear divs are very common, and i fixed the IE divs problem.

Just because it is common, does not mean it is correct. I understand it fixed the issue, but its a hack. I am trying to help you learn/understand the correct method.

smoovo

I looked online, my books... Nothing about bad using of empty Divs. I think that if someone knows any reason of why it's bad and not correct to use empty Divs they should post it. Just to say something without bringing any real reason doesn't count.

Thank you again.

bcee

I looked online, my books... Nothing about bad using of empty Divs. I think that if someone knows any reason of why it's bad and not correct to use empty Divs they should post it. Just to say something without bringing any real reason doesn't count.

Thank you again.

I doubt you will find anything about it being bad. I think the argument here is just extra markup and css classes vs a simple css property.