Trying to learn php

CaldwellYSR

I am so confused trying to learn php. I got one of the lynda tutorials and it looks like it will be great. But it's from 2007 so all the stuff I'm told to download is out of date and for some reason I can't make any of it work. I haven't even started to learn the php language because I can't get apache and mysql to work!

I followed what the video told me to do (downloads from dev.mysql.com and from php.net) plus all the terminal stuff to configure apache and stuff but when we get to the part where you test to make sure apache works..... it doesn't. So I go back to the configure video and I can't get anything from it that works. I have a MacBook running OS X 10.6.7

I've tried MAMP but for some reason anytime I make a .php file when I try to open it, it tries to make me download the file. I just don't understand how to use this stuff and nothing explains it.

Last edited:

DHDdirect

Definately sounds like something isn't setup correctly with MAMP.. I'd try the MAMP documentation or the MAMP forums.

MAMP should install apache, mysql, and php for you.. without having to download them from the associated websites.

Maybe someone else here that owns a Mac could help you as well.

CaldwellYSR

After a while of looking I figured the problem out. I was trying to open the php files by double clicking them (why? because I'm an idiot that's why). So when I realized I have to go through localhost, that was giving me problems because localhost came out blank. Well I finally managed to make it work by putting in localhost:8888 <--port number. Now I've got it all up and running!

Peachhunter12

I would recommend buying a newer book on PHP. I started with a book called "Sams teach yourself PHP, MySQL, and Apache, in 24 hours" and they began the book with installing the PHP server on your computer. I don't think this is the best way to learn PHP.....

Might I recommend Head First: PHP & MySQL.

They start off explaining the basics. Everything that they do is done in several different ways so there is no way you can't understand it. If you don't have a website that you can upload your PHP to then I would get the PHP server on your computer.