To those who have bought or considering buying a web design/hosting businesses

Bluey

(had no response to my original question in the web hosting forum so I am throwing it open here).

I am interested in purchasing a modest but established web hosting business (or perhaps a front end web/print design or social media business in the future).

Have you ever bought a business in this area or considered this? Most web companies are probably built up from scratch.

Assuming that the accountant is happy with the historic accounts and basic due diligence is fine, what are the issues and risks involved in buying a front or back-end web related business?

what was your experience of buying an existing company? Any unanticipated issues?

thanks

ian

Administrator
Staff member
In terms of web hosting businesses for sale, most of the sites for sale, if they have customers, they have been charging their customers too little, and essentially the business is a hassle and a waste of money and time.
I have never bought an existing website so I cannot comment effectively. I prefer to go the hard way and build it from scratch. But if I saw a domain I wanted, and it had a website attached, I would consider it,
The risks are people leaving, especially if you do not provide the same level of service that they have grown accustomed to.