Tips on making game site more attractive

Tarzan

I've currently redesigned my game site for my browser-based game Metropolis.
www.metropolisonline.org

I want ideas on how to make the game more attractive. Too little, or too much information on the start page? Should there be a javascript slide show, or is it nice to have a page without movable javascriptdependent things? Is it easy enough to sign up?

Any feedback is appreciated. And you are of course welcome to sign up and try the game and give me even more feedback on in game details :)

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
the signup sucks.
first of all I didnt add the bottom field.
so I got a php error.
then i refreshed and tried
username already exists...
then i tried with a different user name
username already exists...
I know that no one else would use my username so therefore the bugs involved in this little signup need some serious ironing out.
use a js popup for if a field is not filled.
let people know that they are "required" fields.
dont process half-signups therefore reducing user frustration.

a slideshow with some larger screenshots would be nice.

CH1LL1

I would say add more content to the homepage and change the dark grey header text to a fresher colour, maybe a burnt orange? Also get rid of the tacky builder bloke. The whole site seems quite small.

Tarzan

You were right, Phreaddee, the singup sucked big time.. because I had an ERROR in it. Duh!
It's hopefully fixed now. Thanks for noticing :)

Ch1ll1: Small site? You mean that you want more content outside of the game to explore it without having to sign up?

Tarzan

computerGeek: That's an idea. But then I need the whole JQuery just to auto-validate errors. The frustration Phreaddee was having was actually a snippet of debug code I forgot to remove. I don't think I want javascript popups, because modal dialogs are just frustrating.

DesigNes: Are you kidding? :) I've tried to look for one but with no luck. I figured the best way to find one was having people try the game out. Most urgent are the types of buildings. I've tried to look for free icons on the web, but most of them suck.

krymson

Do you know a local printing company?
Is it privately owned (example: NOT kinkos)?
If so go there nine times out of ten they have a graphic designer and just spit out what you gotta ask.

addyj672

This is gaming website, no first look suggest me that. Secondly game site with professional look very bad option to chose. You need to completely change the website design. See some game website you will get a good idea... cheers...

DesigNes

Gee... where could you find a graphic designer that also specializes in small-business web design... hmmmm....

No in all seriousness you NEED to re-design before you launch. Even if the game is awesome you're not going to get sign-ups with free clip art hanging around. It needs to be interesting & dynamic.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi I actually signed in last night.
I added a few things to my city, blah blah.
went and made a cup of coffee and it hadn't signed me out, but showed me php error 400 whenever I tried to click on something. I then shut down the browser and reopened it.
all it said was "hi"
as for the game interface, it totally needs some form of graphics. the map is the best graphics it has and well....its nothing exciting.
the gameplay doesnt feel like a game but more an accounting program. build a building, wait 3 hours for it to build. and what do you do, surf the net and forget about your game. there needs to be a carrot to keep you there, and unfortunately at the moment there isn't. think simcity. that game is fn addictive....

DesigNes

... build a building, wait 3 hours for it to build. and what do you do, surf the net and forget about your game...

That's where Farmville will get you. It's on FB so you're getting constant reminders go to back & play; but your first levels are SUPER easy to pass, there is appropriate winnings for each level you pass and as you move up it becomes more challenging.

And watching plants grow is NOT super exciting...

Tarzan

Phreaddee:
The "hi" part, and the 404 is unfortunately a hosting problem. Last day has been a little unstable for them. Of course it's my problem to deal with, but right now I don't have the funds for a better webhost. (well, I do, but if the game isn't exciting, I'm not going to spend lots of money on hosting to run a modest game)
I thought about the carrot, and perhaps havn't found anything good enough. One thing is that you get more building types as your population increases, but you've probably not reached those levels yet. Would it be better to see how far you are from the next building type, instead of just having them just appear?
Another concept of the game is nations that you form with other cities. That aspect of the game is hard to grasp by yourself. I figure that games become more addicting if there's a social aspect to it.
I've also thought about more "small" things to do, like designing your own national flag.

DesigNes: I've seen farmville, but not played it. Constant reminders? So you get a message everytime something important happens?
I know I need to get my players into it, but at the same time, I don't want the game to be irritating. I could send e-mails to the user when something happens in the city - but do they want that? I sure wouldn't. But then, I'm not everyone.