Thoughs about Putting Downloads on your website ?

Homesmart

First off i want to thank everyone for the constructive feedback that we received on our site and im gladd to see that it was genuinely positive. As a Second part to this, I was wondering what people thought about putting a download section out on our site. I posted a review on another board (cnet) and got a response from one of the cnet moderators stating that Downloads have to come from either a Liscensed Download site like download.com (cnet) or from the developers site directly. We only put out freeware packages and software so as not to violate and policies and i toook that other forum moderator's response to be more of a ploy for us to direct traffic to cnet but now that im thinking about it, im not sure, so what's the common consesus ? is it wrong or illegal to have our download section ?

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
i guess it really depends on what exactly you want to have in this download section of yours.

StephanieCordray

Read the license... sometimes they allow free distribution, sometimes they don't... if they don't, don't put it up for download but link to them as a recommended download.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Best to contact the authors of the particular software and ask them first.
Doftware downloads could end up being very expensive in terms of bandwith consumption.

StephanieCordray

dang it... if y'all keep posting everytime I post, I'll never catch up... :p
not that it matters, lol... cuz they're always good points.