The Web Design Indutry

oxygren

Hello Guys,

I am currently working in a telecommunications industry as a web/graphic designer - however I am on min wage and I am want to move forward in the next 6 months to a bigger city and I want to upgrade my skills.

I have kind of stepped out of the learning game for a few years now, and I am desparate needs to upgrade my skills and i am not sure which way to go about it, and I need your help.

My Current skill set is: HTML, CSS, PHOTOSHOP, INDESIGN and ILLUSTRATOR. BASIC FLASH.

I am not sure if should learn JAVASCRIPT, AJAX, ACTIONSCRIPT or a development language or all, and in which order. I want to get a diploma in 3d aswell so i can combine all my skills into gooie digital designs, but I am not sure what I should focus on, what employers want.

Please help, I need some direction.

sheanhoxie

I would recommend Javascript, PHP & Actionscript. In my opinion these will help you build a solid foundation to learn more advanced languages.

wetgravy

with what you have, you can easily get a web design job in most places. As for additional languages i would go for javascript and php more than anything else. And i would only go for 3d if you were going to use it more than once in a blue moon, or you wanted to do motion graphics for a media company not a design company. Most important than anything else ... learn to have a good portfolio.

pingeyeg

I would suggest starting with JavaScript and then moving on to a more intense language like PHP or .Net. I would suggest PHP since it is an easier language to learn and bares the same results. Some people would disagree with me, but that's what I prefer. Since you have been out of the game for so long you really need to master CSS because that is the way web design is going now.