The market for freelancers

mVaillette

How is the current market for freelance web designers?

I ask because I recently started learning web design, and I also recently came across a few articles about how web designers are having a hard time due to some changes in the web. What's the story?

amorrisweb

It all depends on your approach. Peoples belts may be tighter but a good designer can show them how a website can work for them. For new designers it's just about getting out there. Post in forums and be confident about your abilities. Show prospective clients why they need your services and you will get clients. Being a designer is as much about selling your services as it is building websites. The work is there you just have to find it!:)

n1c0_ds

It really depends on many factors.

In my case, I'm a student in a city with ~70000 habitants. I have more work than I could handle, and don't have trouble charging over 50$ an hour. Marketing skills are really useful in that situation, and I benifit from them everyday.

iamshawnrice

A tactic that has worked for me: if you can't seem to get paid, barter a design (or redesign) for the portfolio experience. They get a site, you get something (15 pizzas in one case...that was awesome) in return in addition to the experience. Plus you always have that indispensable marketing opportunity: the footer.