The Drunk Project

TheDrunkProject

Hello, Yes i know its my first post sorry :/.

I just have a few questions and wanted some feedback.
Yesterday me along with my roommates setup and put our idea into action.

Www.thedrunkproject.com (Go here to read more about it)

We think it is a pretty good idea and would be pretty entertaining. Im brand new dealing with websites, so i just did trial and error and set up wordpress..

One problem: We cant put up advertisments on wordpress. So im wondering what i should do? Should i keep running wordpress? or find someone to code us a custome script for the site?

Any suggestions are helpful!

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you using the hosted version of wordpress or did you install it on your own server? Im quite sure if you do your own install, you can display ads.

The website idea/concept seems kinda catchy and I like the dark grey tones with light green. First thing, create a logo or is that it in the banner?

TheDrunkProject

Im using a hosted version, I understand the concept of installing a website. That to me is not hard. Its the database, and MySQL stuff i am not good at. Hence why i used the hosted version because it does it for me.

The banner is in place for the time being just until we roll everything out.

Any idea where i could get wordpress non-hosted?

anna

Not sure if this will help, but this is what I found from Google.

Let me know if that's what you are looking for...

TheDrunkProject

^ No :/. What i mean is our site is already up and running on wordpress. But since its a hosted version meaning i installed it and it automatically did the MySQL and stuff because its a application on my hosts website. So by it being hosted we cant put ads on it until theres over 25,000 visitors i believe. Then you split ad revenue 50/50 with wordpress.

So what im saying is we want to put ads on in the beginning stages of the site, not when we have 25,000 visitors then have to split it 50/50 with a company.

Does that make sense? :/

DHDdirect

Why not go with separate hosting? Problem solved.

I'm assuming that you chose one of these one click wonders? If you paid for hosting then opt to install wordpress yourself. If you don't have a hosting that gives you access to things as mysql then look for new hosting. Or if you chose to get free wordpress blog hosting then I'd ditch it.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

TheDrunkProject

It was a one-click wonder. Im looking into non-hosted versions of it to run ad's etc. Does anyone have MSN messenger or something where they might be able to help me with doing the MySQL part?

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Im using a hosted version, I understand the concept of installing a website. That to me is not hard. Its the database, and MySQL stuff i am not good at. Hence why i used the hosted version because it does it for me.

The banner is in place for the time being just until we roll everything out.

Godaddy.com offers [almost] one-click install of WordPress

iamshawnrice

It's a clever idea: and could be huge in the college market. I think the youtube content will be your bread and butter: drunkenness read is less entertaining than watched.

TheDrunkProject

Thats what we have is a youtube channel. Sorry if its not clear on the website, but thats what it is. Once we get videos out i think it will be big. We already have a frat from pepperdine asking us to come and do a special video of there frat/them

reverseengineer

honestly check out wordpress.org, they should you how to set up ur own database. It really isn't hard. It's only a matter of creating an account in php admin and putting that information in whats called the wp-config.php file and your done. can we put website addresses on here? just google installing wordpress