testing sites

Eric

I'm working on a macbook and want to test my sites on ie. I've installed vmware fusion and windows vista, everything works fine. So how do I do this? I can't figure out how to access my local site in ie. Also, can this be done using DW in OSX without going back and forth on Vmware?

zartwork

best bet would be to purchase a pc to truely test out all browser compatibility. You can get a cheap one from HP or even from craigslist or something.

Eric

Calum, I don't think you should be "lol-ing" people for trying to help. Besides, there is no ietester for mac available yet, so you haven't helped either.

Anyway, I'm still struggling with this. Admittedly, I did have my local server set up wrong, so I can now view my site on my local server, but I still have problems in vmware. The screen I get when I go to localhost/8888 is the Apache screen which says I have my server set up correctly, but if I'm not seeing to site I expect to contact the server administrator. (I'll post screenshot when I get back to my laptop.) Any ideas anyone? thanks.

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eric, have you considered Parallels Desktop for Mac? I have a 2007 Macbook Pro which I run this software on. It essentially creates a virtual windows machine on your mac. I run windows XP right now with OSX 10.4.9. It is very helpful, because you have both platforms in one computer.

I did also find this the other day: Xenocode plugins. I have not tried any of the plugins out yet, but they do seems to have a good selection.

Eric

Yes, I'm familiar with Parallels. My understanding is I should be able to test my site in windows browsers with either parallels or vmware, which I already have. I think I have something set up wrong on my computer, and would probably make the same mistake with parallels too. Anyway, attached is a screen shot of what I get when I try localhost in vmware.

Attachments

• Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 36

Eric

Thanks g. I'm not sure what you mean- I type in my computers ip address-192.168.1.2/ and get the screen shot you see above in both safari and ie/vmware. is there a different ip address or something?

weblite

Web Page Testing

Go to
http://browsershots.org/
enter your url

this site sends your url to computers that display your page, take a screen shot and post it back so you can see how it looks.

Jon

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric

Cool, thanks WL. If that works (no time to try it now) that will help until I get this sorted out. Of course that won't test functionality, and I can't use it off-line, but it could help.

Eric

Wow, very cool! I just viewed a site in browsershots which I already knew was not showing in ie properly and, sure enough, it works! I'll bookmark that. Now I just need to figure out why the style sheet is not working in ie. But that can wait, I'm still working on the vmware/local server issue, for anyone else out there with ideas.