Testing PHP

tbradley

Hello All,

I'm new to the forums and apologize if I am posting this in the wrong section as I'm assuming anything related to PHP should go here.

Anyways, I've recently started building a website and have chosen to take advantage of the PHP 'includes' tag for my websites navigation in order to save myself time when it comes to updating links etc. I have run into a bit of an annoyance however when it comes to testing. I am aware that in order to test PHP you need to have PHP installed and have taken advantage of a free website hosting service for testing my code. Problem is that this is becoming cumbersome to have to upload every edit I make in order to test it.

I'm wondering if there is a way to test PHP code on a local machine running Windows 7 64-bit? I really can't see it being feasible to upload changes immediately while testing so I figure there must be a way to do this. Any information that any of you guys can give me regarding this or other best practices for testing PHP code would be extremely helpful and very much appreciated.

-Tim

smoovo

You have Wamp Server. It's free and very simple to use. Once you have installed the server, just place your files in the root directory ("www" folder), and start your services.

You can test PHP and MySQL on this server.

- Enjoy. :)

sacrine

I have been using xampp for a few years now and it's also a good option so check it out if you want xampp

Just a note of warning.. check your firewall or router settings.. once you have apache running you could be open to the world wide web to access your pc. I found this out the hard way when I found external IP's in my php session tables a few years back.