table shown incorrect in Opera and Firefox

pierb

I'm webmaster of the site of my orchestra and i've got some trouble with tables on the site. The strangest part is that IE8, Google Chrome and Safari show everything correctly, Opera and Firefox mess up the some(!) tables and Firefox is misplacing some images (logo on 'nieuws2009'). This are the pages:
agenda
jubileum
agenda
nieuws2009

Please note that I'm from the Netherlands, so the site is in DUTCH.
Does anyone have an idea of what the problem might be?
Help is greatly appreciated!

EDIT:
All problems fixed, Thank you guys!

Last edited:

smoovo

It seems like your code have been written wrong. Your body tag should be placed before any iframe tag... You have placed it in middle of everything. Maybe that's your bug and maybe not, but you have to write it right first.

I moved your "plat" class from the last span before the logo and it moved it to its place... Try not to use the same class name to more than one element.

pierb

It seems like your code have been written wrong. Your body tag should be placed before any iframe tag... You have placed it in middle of everything. Maybe that's your bug and maybe not, but you have to write it right first.

I moved your "plat" class from the last span before the logo and it moved it to its place... Try not to use the same class name to more than one element.

About the body-tag; I suppose you mean the one in the document setting up frames? Adobe Dreamweaver automatically sets up this structure of tags when using a frameset. When I put the body-tag before the frameset-tag, it gives an error. Besides, I'm using the same structure with another site, but that one doesn't show any trouble with misplaced images and listed tables, so that can't be the cause of this problem.

And the plat-class you're talking about, which one do you mean? I don't see any misplaced span-tags in "nieuws2009".
And how can it be explained that some browsers show the pages correctly and others mess it up?

smoovo

If you build a websites relying on a software don't expect to get a pro results, like you getting now. And i didn't mentioned any misplace span, i just said that after i took off the class="plat" from one of your spans the logo was in place, but it was just by playing, it doesn't say it will fix your problems.

I think you should learn more HTML and write the code by yourself, this way you will figure this kind of errors right away. Remember, the short way is the long one. ;)

- Good Luck.

pierb

If you build a websites relying on a software don't expect to get a pro results, like you getting now.
Actually, most of the code IS written by hand, not using the design-mode of any program.
I think you should learn more HTML and write the code by yourself, this way you will figure this kind of errors right away.
I mainly use Dreamweaver as FTP- and preview-software. I could have written the code in notepad too.

EDIT:
I removed most of the class-statements in the HTML-code and the logo on "nieuws2009" is fixed.
Can the problems with the tables be caused by classes too?

Last edited:

d a v e

incidentally frames are a really bad choice for laying out a site
http://apptools.com/rants/framesevil.php
but guess it's a bit late for that ;)
oh and your logo should be a gif or 8-bit png. (jpegs are for photos and images with complex gradients)

and if you don't me asking - what's the building on the page background and how is it linked to what you do? i'm just curious :)

pierb

incidentally frames are a really bad choice for laying out a site
http://apptools.com/rants/framesevil.php
but guess it's a bit late for that ;)
oh and your logo should be a gif or 8-bit png. (jpegs are for photos and images with complex gradients)

and if you don't me asking - what's the building on the page background and how is it linked to what you do? i'm just curious :)

It's indeed a bit late, but I'll keep it in mind for the next time. About the images, I normally do use png for normal pictures, but this is how I received the image and it used to work... Thanks anyway.

d a v e

fair enough but a png
logoudi.png

is 11kb compared to 66kb for a jpeg

smoovo

EDIT:
I removed most of the class-statements in the HTML-code and the logo on "nieuws2009" is fixed.
Can the problems with the tables be caused by classes too?

Classes aren't bad or good, they have to be used. Any wrong use (it could happened to the best of us) of any piece of code, can lead to problem. You can try using Firebug plug-in for Firefox to track any mismatch or missing code.

d a v e

i think the problem is the class you've applied to the table cells
the "plat" class

remove display:block; and i think it will be ok

.plat {
display:block;
font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 12px;
font-weight: normal;
}

pierb

i think the problem is the class you've applied to the table cells
the "plat" class

remove display:block; and i think it will be ok

.plat {
display:block;
font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 12px;
font-weight: normal;
}

That fixed all the problems, thanks d a v e!
After removing display:block; from the css, all images and tables were shown perfectly in every browser. Thanks again!