Suggestions on HTML/CSS editor

ASATopGun

Im pretty much brand new to Web design and looking on this site I see that alot of you dont like dreamweaver. What would you suggest as a good HTML input editor? besides notepad. And also. What is the best route to learning you all would recommend? Thank you!

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's all a case of personal preference.

• Some dislike DW because they simply like free products and dislike Adobe more so than DW.
  • Some dislike it because they think it's a kids toy, and would prefer to use much more "kewl" editors such as aptana. apparently it "proves" how proficient they are as a developer...
  • some dislike it because they have tall poppy syndrome.
  • Most however dislike the design view component of DW. and for good reason - it's truly horrific...
Having said that I use it every day and thoroughly enjoy it. I never use design view and can manage all I need from it so have no desire to use anything else.

you can try and use notepad++, aptana, coda, etc etc, but in the end it still comes down to personal preference.

If I dealt with truly hardcore programming languages on a daily basis perhaps I'd need something more substantial but for html/css/js/php editing it is more than adequate.

Edge

I started off using DW years ago when i didn't know how to code. I now use it in code view and upload pages with it just because I can't be bothered to find something else and it works for me. I don't use it to upload files in bulk as it has this habit of skipping some - I use Filezilla for that. It's just convenient to edit a bit of code sometimes and hit CTRL Shift U and it's up there. The only reason I wouldn't recommend it is it's pretty damn expensive for a code editor and none of the WYSIWYG functionality which you are forking out for really works. It does tie in nicely with Fireworks if you use that.

chrishirst

Staff member
I tried using DreamWeaver (Ultra Dev 4) in "Design View", when I DID know how to code, and found it incredibly limiting in what it would allow me to do.

So it became a bloated code editor with FTP and I never updated past DW MX.

junery00

thank god everyone is using dreamweaver ,because like he said most of people i asked if they use dreamweaver they say no, but now i know why they dont use it , thanks Phreaddee very tru what you said

and by they way Welcome asattopgun im new too and trying to get into the webdesign field too

ASATopGun

Junery, which program are you going to be using? And which is the route you are taking to learning the basics? And thank you everyone else