Suggestions for a simple youtube video gallery?

Sucker Punch

Here's my challenge.

I need to incorporate a youtube video gallery into a website. It needs to fit into the aesthetic of the rest of the site seamlessly, so I can't just link to the user's channel or anything.

The other requirement, which makes it a pain in the ass, is that the owner of the site needs to be able to update it easily, without having to edit any files.

I'm really not much of a web designer. I'm pretty good with HTML and CSS, and somewhat familiar with PHP. I know a thing or two about java, though, so I figured I could write a java applet that would allow him to just drop the URL of the youtube video in, and the applet would edit the HTML file to add the new video.

Offline, that's pretty simple. A cursory google search, though, makes it seem like editing html files through an applet that is all stored server side may have unforeseen difficulties when it comes to actually committing the changes.

Does anyone have any advice? Maybe an alternate solution or some thoughts on my potential solution.

P.S. The budget for this is nil. I found a few scripts online that seem like they could help, but none of 'em were free.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
just use the embed code that you get from youtube.
so so so simple to incorporate that into your site.

vimeo also are pretty good. and for a small monthly fee you can get rid of the watermarks and customise how the player looks within the embed.

kohncreative

If you're familiar with PHP, just set up a system that the client can enter the YouTube link in a database, and then your page can just pull that address from the database. This site uses something similar where the client can control which video shows up on the home page. http://www.monstersofhiphop.com/