Strange Proposal...

AsheSkyler

I got an email today offering $50 for me to list somebody else's design services on my own services page. That struck me as rather odd. I've never seen an ad like that on another professionals page, at most maybe an affiliate link on a links page. Not to mention the domain the email address that presumably was the site in question to be linked was not live or functional. I let them down easy on the basis of how I get very little traffic there and that they'd be better off bidding on some Project Wonderful slots I have in a different section of the site.

Have any of you ever had another developer want adspace on your product pages?

And did I handle this right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think your services page should be about your own services, shouldn't it?

Edge

Interesting strategy - paying to get on other people's sites. How long would they be on your site for? I'm just thinking if someone spent a grand just getting onto other people's sites that might be well spent provided the other sites got some traffic but a waste if they didn't. Presumably they could see you ranked well on some search terms. 50 bucks is not much for you though is it and pollutes your brand.

chrishirst

Staff member
Maybe they were/are hoping that visitors consider that your design is also indicative of their work.

AsheSkyler

I kind of suspect them wanting easy traffic too, which is kind of crazy if they dropped by my work history first. Ranking couldn't have been a factor since I'm not even on the top ten pages yet. Oh well, live and learn, I reckon. Might 'ave just been a specialized spambot.