Starting own webstite

tonyzmanutd

Hi,

I hope I'm not wasting your time, but I'd like to start my own website and I have no idea on how to design the actual site.

It would be a site selling sports merchandise.

The site would look very similar to www.bornprosper.com. Just a bit neater and more attractive.

If anyone could help me it would be much appreciated.

jenni1420

If anyone could help me it would be immensely appreciated.

first of all is getting all info about your site.it means what do you want from it(exatly and clearly)? you can write it down for better result.
second is designing a good layout for it you can do it by photoshop then make it template I recommand you dreamwaver.
third is designing database and programming. www.bornprosper.com is written by asp what is your choose?
and so on...

craftygeek

Firstly I have to ask....is this a proper business venture? If it is, then you should look at getting a professional to build a site for you.

If it is a side income & not your major business, you should still consider getting it built professionally.

If you are set on building a shop yourself, you will want to look at some of the 'off the shelf' shopping cart systems such as Zen Cart, OsCommerce & Magento. Although they are prebuilt shopping systems, they will still require a sizable amount of work to get them running. On the design side of things, you can find some free templates for them, but there are also lots of premade design templates that you can buy for them, eg try searching 'zen cart templates'.

The reason I suggest using a professional is due to a couple of important & often forgotten factors...poor design in a shop will turn off potential customers instantly - they will go elsewhere straight away....search engine optimisation - just because you have a website, doesn't mean that the search engines will direct traffic to your website - particularly if you are selling the same products as lots of other website, thought & planning helps here greatly.

Hopefully that helps a bit.

tonyzmanutd

Thanks so much guys for actually caring, well basically I have the same source for products as the site bornprosper.com. I want to sell them too and get my share of the pie etc. It's just a side pro-ject, but I think I can make a fair bit of side-money with it.

I just want to take bornprosper.com and make it more attractive and put my own photos up and change the top banner. Also a different template so it doesn't look totally ripped. The one at Zen cart looks really good actually. Very desirable.

Web1

You should be able to customise the header section of a Zen Cart template, just Google 'custom header zen cart' or check out zen help files.

You will need an online merchant account, such as 2checkout, Worldpay, Paypal, Google Checkout. There are probs modules for Zen, you should check whichever cart you use integrates with a suitable secure payment gateway that you can get an account with. Must be easy for site users or they will click away before completing the order.