source codes blocked by Norton Internet Security

~jc

Hi there,

Wondering if anyone can help me with this problem... :confused:

My site looks fine when I tested my files locally on my computer. Then when I uploaded it to the web, some of my images didn't not show up. When I viewed the source codes in the browser, I noticed that some of [img src] codes disappeared, and the only way to view the site probably is to disable my firewall in Norton Internet Security.

Now I'm concerned that whoever has Norton installed on their computer will not be able to view my site properly!

I've never come across this problem before, is there something my web hosting company can help me with, or I can fix this problem with some "magical" html codes???

Thanks in advance,
Judy

~jc

StephanieCordray said:
you're using basic html?

Hi Stephanie,

Yup... and I also use Javascript for things like navigation menu, photo gallery, etc. but those are displaying fine.

Any ideas...?

StephanieCordray

send a link to the site... will look at the source code, see what's what... i've never heard such a problem from basic html either... unless the images just aren't there on the site... yet javascript is not a problem... oh yes, what browser are you using?

Kiwiberry

Steph, looks like you've almost got this all wrapped up.

I've seen this problem with WYSIWYG editors, but not in basic html. My other guess would be that the file names are different. Especially if your on a Unix host, you need to make sure the capitalization is all the same. I usually verify it's all lowercase to save some hassle.

~jc

The culprit was Norton Internet Security... appartently it was a known problem with no real solutions from Norton except by turning off the Ad-blocking feature and Personal Firewall....

Here's a document posted on Symantec site:
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/nis/nis_2004_tasks.html

Some of the articles found when I googled my problem:
http://www.bigbangextensions.com/docs/instruction_pages/troubleshooting/norton.html
http://www.phoenix360.com/help/norton-issue-resolve.html

Thanks for your replies though!

Judy

StephanieCordray

Well... I guess it's my turn to be a little sarcastic. If it were me, I'd turn them off and look for alternative programs to cover that stuff. Norton is a bloated resource hog... any part of it... I won't quarrel with the antivirus because it is good enough to live with its piggishness but for the rest of it you can find alternatives that are much kinder to your computer and internet trawling. Heck, even your windows XP firewall is better than that bloated thing.

~jc

StephanieCordray said:
Well... I guess it's my turn to be a little sarcastic. If it were me, I'd turn them off and look for alternative programs to cover that stuff. Norton is a bloated resource hog... any part of it... I won't quarrel with the antivirus because it is good enough to live with its piggishness but for the rest of it you can find alternatives that are much kinder to your computer and internet trawling. Heck, even your windows XP firewall is better than that bloated thing.

Glad to find someone who shares my view on NIS! Norton gives me nothing but frustration for the last few days.... :mad:

Plus, try to explain this to your new boss in a way that it doesn't come out as if you're finding an easy scapegoat (i.e. an anti-virus program) for the screw-up, rather than admitting your incompetence at web designing... :(

StephanieCordray

Feel free to send him to this forum and read what I wrote.

I'm not a web designer either ... at least not professionally... so that should be another point in your favor.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I agree re norton, havent tried it in a few years, but when I did a few years ago, not only did it slow every single process down, the computer I was using still got a virus, so I use a different firewall/anti-virus nowadays.