source code spacing all messed up in windows

munkyeetr

This is more of a curiosity question, but may be important if I hand over webmaster duties to someone else...

I designed my site (and do all my updating/maintaining) on a Linux machine using either geany or bluefish editors.

After I redesigned the site using xml/xslt, I went to show my clients how easy updating content would be, then opened a source xml file on their Windows computer and I felt like a fool; elements, etc, were not layed out in the organized fashion I had them, and then when I went back into Linux, everything was hunkydory.

So my question:
When I am on another machine (Windows, and specifically using Notepad) and I open up my source files, the whitespace is all jumbled and there are 'box' characters all over the document. Why is that? If it is all ascii text, should not all text editors display properly?

Thank you,
Munky

conor

I had that problem a while back but once I started using vim as a text editor it seemed to get rid of it.

If you still want to use bluefish then make sure to save all files in utf-8 format. That should ensure that there are no weird characters in there. One thing that I don't have a workaround for is spacing. Notepad doesn't ever seem to recognise my tabs or spaces correctly. It sometimes displays all my code on one line. That's why I don't use it :)

In the long term you should look at using a CMS so that you do not need to get your clients to edit files.