Someone using our domain name

gatzke

So my company has a domain name "[ourcompanyname].com" and another company (a competitor) recently took the domain name "[ourcompanyname].ca" and is using it to redirect to their own website "[theircompanyname].com". I heard that I can take this matter to a higher authority and obtain the rights to domain name they took. Does anyone know how I can go about this? Has anyone ever had to deal with a situation like this?

anna

You can contact a copyright/trademark attorney.

I would highly recommend that you contact them first and ask them to remove their website.

Good luck!

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you can prove that you were in business before the [thieving] company, then it would weight heavily in your favor. Other than that I would check into cyber-pirating laws for relate closely to your situation. Lastly, like anna said, contact an attorney who deals with these matters.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
If it is a generic domain, in all fairness, you may not have much of a case. America is not the epicentre of the world, despite what many people may think. But if it is a trademarked type term, or a brandname which you have trademarked, you may have a good case. Thing is, I am not sure how the dispute resolution process works for .ca domains. Also have to consider whether going after them is worth your time and effort and money.

web_design

if its a generic domain (contains words found in the dictionary and isnt personal) e.g bikeclothing.etc then you may as well give up now and learn from your mistake Uunless you own the copyright to the company name. If its a personal domain e.g. yourcompanyname.com (e.g. Jonsbikeclothing.etc) then you can take them to court and get the domain plus loss of earnings.

you just need to prove they are using your name to generate sales (easy)

that said usually a "legal" letter to the domain owner is enough to get them to stop and hand it over.