Some feedback on this flash site???

stuluk28

Hey, I've currently got a project on designing and coding a flash website based on global warming, trying to get the message across that even making ONE change, is still a change, and if a thousand people all made one change that'd be ONE THOUSAND changes!

The things is I've got 7 days to complete the entire thing! I've got the general layout and main .swf up and running and now I've got two pages sorted too!

What I'll be doing is posting this at night, working on the site the rest of the night. Checking any responses in the morning and then working on the site all day, uploading an newer version and re-posting on this thread at night again.

This'll happen for the next week, then it has to be finished! I'd appreciate any feedback you guys can offer whilst I'm building this.

The site is at http://www.lukesturgeon.co.uk/tester

Jesus

great

Wow that is a fantastic site, you did an awesome job Ill post again(edit my post) when I find something wrong
your buddy
Jesus

chriz01

Great. It's layed out very well, the picture quality is just fantastic and the animations are perfect. Very imformative, what a great site. Nice one.

stuluk28

Hey, thanks for the positive feedback, I'm obviously doing something right. I've just updated the site again. I've added two new pages to the 'understand' section (causes & dangers). These have got more info, images, and animations.

I also updated the main .swf so that when you start exploring the site, different images load into the background! (although I just noticed the fader is shorter than the mask, and when the images swap and fade out, you can still see bits at the top and bottom so I'll change this tomorrow morning.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
The site design looked fantastic, I am impressed.
Understand --> The dangers --> arctic glaciers, to indicate the second/third pages, I would probably used green images like on
Discover --> More Information.
Also the link to your main web design site did not work.

stuluk28

cheers, yeah I haven't coded the link to my site or the copyright buttons yet. (I'm not sure if copyright is the right term, I want a page to slide up saying basically that all the information is true to the best of my knowledge but is only as reliable as the sources I got it from) maybe change it to disclaimer? I'm pleased I got the close.window() javascript to work, when I test the site it doesn't work, but uploaded to a server works fine.

The green buttons for extra pages, do you mean you prefer it when there's 2 buttons (lefty & righty) and some small icons to indicate current location. Instead of the pages as buttons?

Eventually I want to have a static html page open to begin, with the the regular (to view this site you will need...) and an enter page button which onClick will open a fullscreen new browser window holding the flash site in. I can open a centered new window, and remove all the tool & scroll bar, but does anyone know where I can get the javascript to open a new window fullscreen? (obviously that works on different resolutions)?

ian

Administrator
Staff member
stuluk28 said:
The green buttons for extra pages, do you mean you prefer it when there's 2 buttons (lefty & righty) and some small icons to indicate current location. Instead of the pages as buttons?
Yes, that would be better, or alternatively number the 3 buttons.

stuluk28

That's a good idea, thanks for that. For all those that are interested there's now another 3 pages on the site. I've got all 4 'understand' pages done, and the first page in the 'improve' section! It's slowly getting there, funny thing is, when I've finised this (hopefully by friday) i've got 2 other projects to start and finish at the weekend, and then another flash site to design, build and finish next week! as well as an exhibition of my work. When it rains it poors eh?

ian

Administrator
Staff member
one website over a 4 day long weekend was enough of a task for me.

stuluk28

haha, yeah that'd do it! It's the worst when you know you should sleep. But you just lay wide awake thinking of the best way to get something done, wishing it was morning again so you could just get on with it!

ISDProductions

One suggestion I would make is declaring where your improve sections stats come from. I would be wary to just trust some website cause it told me it was true. It needs to be backed from a reliable source that everyone has heard of. Also when you go through each room, most of them just list problems, but don't offer any solutions? I know these aren't exactly web design tips, but I think making changes to these may make your site more effective.

Last edited: