Some basic questions on how to approach new website...

NuDesigner

Hello all,
I am interested in building a niche auction site and was hoping I could ask a few questions. I am familiar with the basics of programming but do not have anywhere near enough experience to even begin developing my own site from scratch. I don’t expect to have an Ebay up and running anytime soon (or ever for that matter), but starting small and working my way up is my intent. That being said, can anyone provide any advice or answers to the following questions:

Is it feasible to get something descent running with auction scripts which are available online? Some seem to be viable solutions for someone like me who has limited programming experience and isn’t looking for anything super crazy (although, some scripts seem to be feature-rich).

If that is not an option, what about going through an outlet such as “freelancer.com”? What are your thoughts on this route?

My other option is to seek out a technical co-founder (which I know is the preferable method). I am trying to avoid this route, at least up front. I would like to see myself get started, on a small scale, and then explore partnering up with someone for advancement.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

iniedrauer

The reference to eBay almost turned me away.. The fact that you have some practical steps though indicates to me that you are not another "I want to make a website just like Facebook, only better!" dude.

And so I would say you are going about it the right way. Payware scripts are probably the way to go for now. Freelancer is a great service, but it would end up costing you a lot more to hire someone to build you a site from scratch than it would to put something together using a marketed script.

Make sure that if you do it yourself though, that you have adequate front-end design abilities too. If you don't, it's probably worth paying the extra dollar to get it done professionally.

NuDesigner

Haha - I specifically referenced eBay to prevent people from thinking "oh boy, here is another guy who thinks he is going to be the next eBay".

My programming experience on for the web is rather limited (it is limited in general, but especially from a web standpoint). So, I would be naive to think I can build a good front-end. If I said to you I would like to give the front end a shot - where would you say I start my learning process? (Please understand that I know I will most likely have to hire help, but even if I learn a little, it will help me in doing so.)

I will check out payware scripts, too. Thank you.

iniedrauer

The most important thing about front-end design is knowing what looks acceptable. To do that, I would recommend searching for CSS Galleries, and view the portfolios of respected designers. It doesn't happen overnight though.

As far as the actual designing, having the right software can be a huge help (Adobe Suite, etc). Some people learn from instruction... personally I learn a lot better by just dissecting other people's websites. Realistically though, the HTML/CSS is not difficult. The hard part about design, is just that... the design. It's not about programming as much as it is about being an industry artist.