SO AGGRAVATED!!! Site breaks in IE 6 and 7

TheMoneyHawk

Hey,

I just started a blog and the design breaks in IE 7. I'm running on wordpress, self hosted, so I can change whatever code I need to.

the site is www.money-hawk.com

I validated the site and all the code looks good.

The site works perfectly in firefox and safari. IE sucks, and I hate it, but a lot of people still use it and I don't want them to see a broken site.

Can ANYONE please help me with this problem?

conor

it's a nice site, did you make the theme yourself?

I read the article, you said that the site was XHTML valid. Maybe it's not showing up any errors because there aren't any! You have to add extra CSS to make it work in ie. Try applying a standard font size - instead of letting the browser decide for you. That's all I can think of.

I had a similar problem before and could not resolve it, so I added a piece of JavaScript to detect your browser and tell you to download firefox!

If you didn't make the theme then let the person who made it know.

conor

I read the article, you said that the site was XHTML valid. Maybe it's not showing up any errors because there aren't any! You have to add extra CSS to make it work in ie. Try applying a standard font size - instead of letting the browser decide for you. That's all I can think of.

I had a similar problem before and could not resolve it, so I added a piece of JavaScript to detect your browser and tell you to download firefox!

conor

conor

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
Holly double post batman! Conor, you should wait for the site to finish loading before resubmitting your posts.

As for the CSS issues. If you aren't able to resolve the problem, you may need to run a second style sheet just for IE, like this...

Code:
<!--[if lt IE 7]><style type="text/css" media="screen">@import "css/ie.css";</style><![endif]-->
Good luck! :)

conor

wetgravy

zkiller hit this one on the head. you basically need to make an entirely NEW css document that only loads with i.e. 6 & 7.

Alot of it has to do with how the background colors are handled in I.E.

TheMoneyHawk

zkiller hit this one on the head. you basically need to make an entirely NEW css document that only loads with i.e. 6 & 7.

Alot of it has to do with how the background colors are handled in I.E.

It already has a separate style sheet for IE; it came with the blog template. It's not working.

I didn't design the site, but I moderately customized it. The problem has been there from the beginning though.

But yes, it has separate style sheet and it's still not working.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
Find...

Code:
/*** Content ***/

.content {  background: #ffffff url(images/sidebarbg.jpg) repeat-y right; }
.leftcontent { width: 550px; margin: 25px; float: left; }
.rightcontent { float: left; width: 350px; }
And change it to...

Code:
/*** Content ***/

.content {  background: #ffffff; }
.rightcontent { float: left; width: 350px; background-image:(images/sidebarbg.jpg); background-repeat:repeat-y; background-position:right; }
Really shouldn't make a difference, but IE is weird, so who knows. If that doesn't work I'd just continue to play around with those three classes until you find a combo that IE accepts.

TheMoneyHawk

Find...

Code:
/*** Content ***/

.content {  background: #ffffff url(images/sidebarbg.jpg) repeat-y right; }
.rightcontent { float: left; width: 350px; }
And change it to...

Code:
/*** Content ***/

.content {  background: #ffffff; }
.rightcontent { float: left; width: 350px; background-image:(images/sidebarbg.jpg); background-repeat:repeat-y; background-position:right; }
Really shouldn't make a difference, but IE is weird, so who knows. If that doesn't work I'd just continue to play around with those three classes until you find a combo that IE accepts.

That broke the sidebar in Firefox. The sidebar bg went white instead of the beige it's supposed to be.

TheMoneyHawk

I fixed it. Now the only problem is that in Internet Explorer, the fourth 125x125 ad is pushed to a third line.

Anyone got any ideas for that one? It's fine in Safari and Firefox.