Snipiti.com - what does everyone think?

JeremyApp

Hey,

I'd like to post a link to my latest project - It's called Snipiti.com, and it's an online community where you can search and post source code snippets for a variety of languages.

I'd really like if people could give some feedback on it, whether positive or negative. There are some parts that are not yet feature-complete, but the site as a whole is finished and it works. Feel free to post some scripts, make some comments, and let me know if anything doesn't work right.

Thanks for all your help!

Here's the link: http://www.snipiti.com

Gorgy

What about adding some kind of welcoming text to your homepage? So it'll be easier for everyone to understand what your site is about.

JeremyApp

I also did a bit of optimizing, so hopefully that'll help loading times a little bit. Let me know if it's improved at all.

The biggest piece of advice that I've gotten was to cut down on the code in the front page and replace it with an introduction to the site. I did a bit of each. There's some intro text and a list of 8 recently added snippets. Does this look better, or does anyone have any suggestions for something better? Thanks for all the help!

If you're just joining, the site is http://www.snipiti.com

Geodun1

Overall, the site is quite a bit to look at. I'm not sure what it is, but I feel it's missing something.

I think 5 recently added scripts might work better here, since it minimalizes the front page a little more. It's all up to you of course :)

4/5

EDIT: The contact form scrolls horizontally on 1024*768 res. You might want to look into that.

Gorgy

It's great that you've added Welcome to Snipiti block!
Though, I would make it of a different color so it look a bit different than Recently added snippets. Good luck!

Geodun1

After a second look over your site, I have one final thing to say.

Your about page seems really empty :( You might want to spend more time here, because people that like to read would be disappointed there. Try writing about how the project got started, who helped bring it about, important points in it's development, etc.

A good about page can show that you're serious about your site, which brings users to your site that realize this :)

adamblan

It's a good concept, but I think koders.com is a much better source since it is easily searchable using a number of different criteria like file name, language & version search, or license type (something snipiti lacks)
The layout seems ok, but the site needs to be fleshed out like Geodun said

pingeyeg

I like the concept towards the website. Could really come in handy, but you need to make the overall site more appealing and less boring.

pingeyeg

Koders.com is pretty nice looking, but when I typed in JavaScript it gave me anything and everything about other code.

adamblan

Koders.com is pretty nice looking, but when I typed in JavaScript it gave me anything and everything about other code.

Try searching for a specific type of script (like "loader") after selecting javascript from the language drop-down selector

adx

I can't really think of much to make this site any better,
though I don't really feel inclined to click on the 'read' link.
Maybe a little preview text would do the trick.

JeremyApp

I've made a few changes. The about page has been considerably spruced up, but the main change that I've made is the font choice, which I hope is a little more appealing than what it was.

I've also added a blog section that has programming related posts and tutorials.

I did quite a bit of trial-and-error for ad placement. Does it seem weird anywhere (especially the blog, let me know if it seems a bit "off."

I really appreciate the suggestions everyone!

So you don't have to scroll back up, here's the address again http://www.snipiti.com

Last edited: