Slight rant about design: In otherwords, "good enough?"

notarypublic

I'm currently redesigning a website for an academic research group based out of a university where I live. The previous designer had a 2-year degree (though I won't knock that, I'm getting the same degree, myself). I am appalled at the shortcuts he used to make the site "look good enough." From the front end, it looks put together well enough, has cross browser compatibility, and has all the looks of being put together by someone who knew what they were doing.

I consider it bad form to tell my employers that their previous designer had taken them for a ride, but it did come up - they asked why I was remaking a template that mirrored the current style of their site, when I'm supposed to be redesigning it. The truth is, I can't edit the current site, it's been too cobbled together to begin to sort out.

Upon hearing this, they conceded that they had a feeling that the design was shoddy, but were happy enough with the results - It looks "good enough." Which really got me thinking, today.

Are we, as designers, the only ones that fully appreciate good design? Is it trivial to agonize over a quirk that shifts a banner image over 1 pixel in an old browser? At one point do we decide that it's "good enough?"

The ethical question then is: if only designers can typically tell when a website is poorly put together (which for small scale websites, this happens a scary amount of time), what stops someone from making their niche market from being these small scale sites, charging for a site that can be put together "good enough" almost as quickly as a designer can type?

I personally exercise good design principles as best as I can - but my sights are set quite a bit higher than where I'm at, right now. For a site that receives lots of traffic, those "good enough" shortcuts quickly turn into gaping flaws as the content gets bigger and more unruly to manage.

Where do you draw the line?

leroy30

Hmm well the obvious point you made above is you can choose to operate the niche market of pumping out badly structured websites as fast as possible or you can choose to explore the other market of doing the work at a much higher standard and charge a higher premium. Plus I'm not sure it's a niche there are hundreds of thousands of not-so-good 'web designers' out there that will build a website for unfathomly little money.

You mind find the website was built a long time ago and has had many small changes mashed in and the client wasn't willing to pay the money neccessary to do the job properly.

Or you might find they just weren't that good.

Just out of interest why are you remaking the old design in to a template if you are doing a redesign? I can understand having a template (I use Visual Studio master pages) but if I were redesigning I'd do some photoshop concepts and build the template from that rather than build it twice...?

notarypublic

The main issue is that the client is ok with a layout redesign taking time, but the content is out of date and needs to be updated quickly. The old design is so poorly coded that remaking a simple CSS-based layout that mimics the old design is much faster than editing the content inside the site that's currently there.

Also bearing into consideration that it is a contracted position and I'm guaranteed hours through August, I'm fine with taking my time giving them the final website ;) In the meantime they are paying me to research and learn principles of design that I'm not getting just through school. They get a better final product, and I have extreme freedom to experiment and develop my skills.

leroy30

I see. Sounds like a good deal. Is it for the institute you're studying at? Any chance of a link to the old site?