slicing question

hoda

Dears,
I am working on web site design, i have already finished the design for 28 pages and i am on the slicing stage.

My question is:
Do I have to slice every single page although many slices are the same in the different pages?

Is there is away to copy the sclices or something so i save time in slicing every single page????

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you have to slice up every page, you are going about this the wrong way. You should be creating a template. Each page will then use this template. Templates are typically broken down into three main sections: header, main (content), and footer.

When slicing, only use images that are absolutely necessary. Flat colors and simple gradients can be achieved through css. Sprite the necessary images.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahaha!

sorry, just had to laugh.

yeah go on slice all 28pages, realise how frustrating it is, how time consuming it is, then take it to the client who will then say oh actually I like this like that, and like that, then go back to photoshop and do the whole process all over again....only to have another change and again do the whole process again.

Only then will you have this niggling thought in your head that is saying "surely there is an easier way to do this"...

When you are ready to listen to that little voice, listen to it because it will whisper three letters to you...

C. S. S.

and when you learn CSS you can then go back to whoever it was that told you you had to design in photoshop then slice it to make good web designs. tell them that they are an idiot and continuously punch them in the head.

I must admit I find teachers of web design the worst because they still teach this junk.

I have a full time job building websites and for the past 5 years I have not once used a psd design. not once and I can tell you it makes the whole process a hell of a lot easier. the only time I use photoshop is for resizing images, and saving them for web. most logos I will use illustrator, and everything else is css.

but pixel pusher is right if you HAVE to use this totally outdated technique then the best way would be to design a template...

hoda

Thanks alot for the help. Actually I feel annoyed of the idea of learning coding and such stuff but it seems there is no other way out>>>>>>>>>>>>>CSS.

d a v e

Thanks alot for the help. Actually I feel annoyed of the idea of learning coding and such stuff but it seems there is no other way out>>>>>>>>>>>>>CSS.

that's like saying you want to learn how to fix cars without understanding how they work or the techniques involved. just because it's on a computer you think it should be done at the push of a button. if you're annoyed it's at the prospect of having to get your finger out and do something properly :)

CaldwellYSR

if you don't want to learn code then you don't want to design websites. By all means if you don't want to learn it then don't... go hire someone that knows how to do it and actually enjoys it.

xstortionist

You need to research the PHP Include command. This is going to save you a ton of time, especially when you have to update navigation and things like that.

Also, you should have sliced the site first before even starting to build out the pages. You might want to research sprites as well as that could save you time & resources as well.

I think you might have put yourself in a tough position of updating your site, and I hope your client is aware of this.

LouTheDesigner

Actually it is my own website to sell my T-shirt products

Ok. If it's an eCommerce site, then you're definitely going the wrong way. How did you expect to handle a shopping cart, payment options, and credit card processing without any knowledge of PHP or .Net, let alone simple HTML?

Also, a spliced up page will be a complete failure in search rankings.

My suggestion is to download, learn, and install Magento. Also get familiar with authorize.net

-Lou