Site critique

StephanieCordray

I haven't done any SEO work yet. There's a column on the main page that still needs to be filled, and some other tweaks and additions but... and a lot of messy code that needs to be cleaned up from trying to work out some kinks with IE7 so don't look at the source code, lol.

http://jc-hosting.net

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
other than the choice of font in the header, the header looks great. the site overall looks pretty good, but like you said, it needs a few touch ups here and there. i like that it's easy to navigate and fast loading and thumbs up on having a tutorials section for your customers. :)

StephanieCordray

you know, i was just looking at the font in the header and thinking about doing something else, there... I'll sleep on it a bit to make sure I want to do it.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
lol... good idea, i am about to go do the same thing. i need to come up with a logo for my current project.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
There are elements of the new site that I like over the old site.
But I think the header graphics which posts the image of the web servers is very dark and gloomy, kind of like a cloudy day. It somehow doesnt have a positive feel to it and i think colors are important.

StephanieCordray

Normally, I would agree with you but the light colors didn't work. Going with really dark colors was a radical step for me, since I'm more inclined toward bright or light colors. We seem to have picked up a bit more traffic(and still haven't done SEO work) with the new design so I'm hoping it will pay off in the long run.

Artoonie

I don't like the borders of the overall table and the nav being so close, so maybe increasing cell padding (or spacing, i forget which it is) to make more room in between.
Overall, I like the design, it loads fast and looks nice. I don't mind the gloomy colors, although i do admit bright colors would be more appealing.

solidgold

this site is very bland and generic, the header is ok, but the rest of it is straight outta the 90s, scrap the background and just use plain white, tables are out too, its <div> tags these days, which you can easily add a nice dropshadow too on either side
really you should make the links mouseovers for the whole section, rather than just the text

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Normally, I would agree with you but the light colors didn't work. Going with really dark colors was a radical step for me, since I'm more inclined toward bright or light colors. We seem to have picked up a bit more traffic(and still haven't done SEO work) with the new design so I'm hoping it will pay off in the long run.
Dark colors can work really well, they dont have to be bright, maybe it is just me, but that header image looks gloomy. More traffic is great, the real test though is how well that traffic converts to sales.