Simple Web Design Practice?

Nifty62

Hey all,

I'm looking to eventually get into web design as a bussiness.

Currently I am decent at HTML and CSS and I'd call myself an intermediate beginner at PHP.

What I'm hoping for is for someone to give me a fake web design 'contract.'

Basically I want someone to pretend they are hiring me for a simple website which would help me to see where I need to improve and exactly how a web design deal is done.

If someone decides to take me up on this, as I said before, it should be a simple site. Not requiring heavy scripting or anything. Basically think of what you would ask for if you were someone looking for a personal webpage or something like that, as opposed to some kind of flashy corporate website lol.

Thanks guys! I really hope someone wants to give it a try, I think it could be fun. :)

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
You want me to pretend to be a client?

I think it could be fun. :)
indeed...

OK> Step 1. Client survey...hit me up with loads of questions.
the more you understand of my requirements BEFORE a single bit of design is done makes a huge difference.

Last edited:

Nifty62

Woot! Thanks for stepping up! :)

Well, off the top of my head the questions I would ask would be:

Is there a deadline? If so, what is it?
What is your budget for this project?

I know that obviously I would have to ask about what kind of site you are looking to have made, but having no experience in this yet I don't really know exactly what to ask.

I know that at this point I'm completely useless lol. But that's the point. Feel free to educate me in some of the things I need to ask about.

leroy30

First thing I would do is some research into some standard questions a web designer would ask...

Nifty62

I actually did do some research a moment ago.

Most of the questions seem to revolve around targeting visitors for a business. Considering I'm looking for non business types for my practice, these questions don't seem to be very relevant. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

Also they ask things like if it's a new design or a redesign. If its a redesign what do you like and dislike about your current design.

Do you have a web host and/or a domain name already?

Will you site need an image gallery? Contact Form?

Listing sites that they like or dislike and then explaining why.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most of the questions seem to revolve around targeting visitors for a business. Considering I'm looking for non business types for my practice, these questions don't seem to be very relevant. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)
business or personal its no use having a website if you dont have a reason to, and its only then valid to wonder why they would want it, and the way to target visitors.
besides is there even a market for personal sites? i mean every man and his dog can use facebook, etc...

Also they ask things like if it's a new design or a redesign. If its a redesign what do you like and dislike about your current design.
again valid, particularly if they have an existing site...
Do you have a web host and/or a domain name already?
again handy to know.
Will you site need an image gallery? Contact Form?

Listing sites that they like or dislike and then explaining why.
getting all this information is really quite crucial to getting a successful design approved. if you know what the client likes and doesnt it gives you firm pointers as to where to go.

Nifty62

I didn't mean that I was going to go into business for personal websites.

We can open it up to a fake small business. The main thing is the complexity of the site itself since I'm still a novice at scripting.

Did I miss any questions that I should be asking?

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can we make the logo bigger? It needs to be more "Web 2.0". My wife doesn't like it...

Wait, sorry, jumping ahead. ;)

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is there a deadline? If so, what is it?
What is your budget for this project?
end of the week / $200

leading with that question is only going to get you in trouble...

Ok the first couple of questions I would ask would be:

What is the purpose of your website for?

What type of visitors do you expect? - For instance it could be a website about skateboarding, so therefor it would be attracting young teenagers mostly and anyone who is interested in the world of skateboarding. That would be the clients target audience.

Have you looked at similar websites that are in the same category that you like or dislike?

Could you explain in more detail your likes and dislikes about these sites and link me to them?

There is actually probably around 30-40 questions you'd be asking, correct me here, I'm a web designer in the making also and these are questions that spring to mind. I could think of more, but i don't want to overwhelm your head lol.

Nifty62

Thanks for the input so far.

You can feel free to give me some more detail if you want. After all if I'm going to do a practice web design I have to do it right. :)

So, why is it bad to lead with asking about deadlines and budget? Don't you need to know if they need the website by "X day" and if they only have $40 to their name?

CaldwellYSR

Thanks for the input so far.

You can feel free to give me some more detail if you want. After all if I'm going to do a practice web design I have to do it right. :)

So, why is it bad to lead with asking about deadlines and budget? Don't you need to know if they need the website by "X day" and if they only have $40 to their name?

For the same reason a car salesman doesn't immediately start off with the price on a car. First he tells you all the cool stuff about it and gets you to like the car... then he starts talking money. You want to pull the client in and make them want you to design their site. Then once you start talking about money they'll hopefully they'll allocate more money towards the project. At least that's my opinion.

chrishirst

Staff member
The first question should always be;

"Why do you want a website"? The answer to that question will tell you if they are going to be a "good client" or not.

The ones without a positive answer (or answer with "Well everybody else has one") will be the ones that don't give you the information you need and will continually ask for changes every step of the way. because they do NOT know what they want or why they want it. And whatever they do get will not be what they wanted in the first place.

Second statement is "I/We require a deposit" if they ask why, do not take them on because they are obviously not committed to the whole thing.

chrishirst

Staff member
Oh!

And never ask for their budget or timescale, because it will be nowhere near what it will really cost, and impossible to complete in their guesstimate.

Nifty62

Ok, so far I've got.

1. Is this a new design or a redesign
2. What do you want the website for?
3. What type of people are you looking to target?
4. Are there any sites that you particularly like/dislike? Explain.
(If a redesign)
5. What do you like/dislike about your current design?

And don't ask about budget and time limit right off the bat.