Simple database

Stefan83

Hi
I have over 1000 companies that I want to list on a website and I would like to be able to search and sort through these companies on the front end and list their contact details etc. Perhaps an A-Z list for example. Can anyone recommend a solution for this? I just thought there might be an out of the box solution for something like this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

rarepearldesign

A simple database would likely be the best if you are going to be searching and manipulating the list.

Would likely only take one table (assuming its just contacts), anything more and you want to be aware of normalization and proper database design to ensure performance and scalability.

I would say one table "Contact" with the fields you need, then a few sql statements (procs if using sql server) or at least sqldatasource's if you are using .NET.

If a database is not an option, then XML is likely your only real choice. I can help you if you want to be more specific.

jnjc

I would imagine your best bet would be to use a combination of PHP and MySQL Database. There are a number of reasons to go this road not the least of which are:

1) Most hosting companies will have some version of both of these available
2) They are both free.

An XML file will work but it's not scalable and would probably involve the same amount of work (if not more) as trying to do it using PHP/MySQL.

What is your level of experience ? Do you have enough experience to create a DB table etc. ?

If not then your first step would be to figure out how to access the DB admin on your web hosting (most likely phpMyAdmin), once you get to that stage then do a search for something like "Tutorial Creating a table with phpMyAdmin".

HTH,
JC