Should I Use Sidebars in my Website

etangins

I am curious what people think about the use of sidebars for websites. Do they clutter the site? Are they useful for adding information? Are they ignored? What are some of the pros and cons of using a sidebar on a website? Is it better to have them on the right or left of the website or both? If you could provide me with examples too, that would be great.

Thanks,
Etan

etangins

My website is www.ninjawarrior.info but it's sidebar is very undeveloped. I also have a rough Draft of my page witha sidebar on both sides at www.ninjawarrior.info/navtest.html. I am curious which one you think would look better when fully developed. It primarily an informational website. I am thinking of using the sidebar for a set of featured links, social media buttons, ads from Google adsense, maybe an about me blurb, and some miscellaneous info. The reason I ask is because I just read an article that was highly critical of sidebars saying that they clutter the website and are ignored by the viewers.

etangins

I also would love any design suggestions such as what color to make the heading for each box on the sidebar and any other tips for making the optimal sidebar for this website.
Thanks again,
Etan

Last edited:

GUDVH

I am curious what people think about the use of sidebars for websites. Do they clutter the site? Are they useful for adding information? Are they ignored? What are some of the pros and cons of using a sidebar on a website? Is it better to have them on the right or left of the website or both? If you could provide me with examples too, that would be great.

Thanks,
Etan

Sidebars are useful for website monetization ads placements. And, to my experience, I would recommend you place your sidebar on the RIGHT SIDE = Gets more click thru, people seem to look at the right side more than the left. Hey, I could be wrong, but that's my recommendation, and I am sticking to IT.. ;)

etangins

I've been working on this sidebar now for a couple of days and I would really appreciate anyone's feedback. My old sidebar can be seen at http://ninjawarrior.info/salmon_ladder.html

I wanted my new sidebar to be able to have less content and to look simpler. It can be found at http://ninjawarrior.info/navtest.html. It really switches around the whole look and feel of the website and I wanted to know what everyone thinks, bearing in mind that I just introduced it to the design.

I am also wondering if anyone knows a good way to make the sidebar fade out a little and appear less distracting when the mouse is not focused on it?

JenniferK

I love sidebars and think they're an excellent way to break up the imagery and content and make the site more dynamic :)