Should I Study Java Script

CAW

I am new to web design. I took my first class in web design this summer in HTML5/CSS3 and Dreamweaver. My professor says I should take Java Script next. I am a non-credit student, so I can take any classes I would like, and would rather spend the time practicing what I have learned in HTML/CSS.

I have noticed that with CSS3, there are a lot of work arounds. Plus Java Script really loads up the code. Plus, DW puts it in for you, if you want to use it.

I am interested primarily in responsive design and would like to keep my pages as user friendly (for smart phones) as possible.

chrishirst

Staff member
Plus, DW puts it in for you, if you want to use it.

And what will you do if Dreamweaver is not available for you to use at some point in the future?

Also knowing how to use Dreamweaver does NOT equal knowing how to develop web sites/documents.

Apokalupsis

Yeah, you should think of DW as one of the tools that can be used to develop a website. It's definitely handy, but I think it is important to go beyond that.

I'm certainly no expert and I have a lot to learn myself, but I am confident in what I do know so far, that the following statements are true:

1) Learn HTML/CSS - you can't replace this knowledge with using a tool. The tool should be there to supplement that knowledge (not replace it).

2) Responsive web design (RWD) is becoming increasingly popular and important - learning to do it the right way, and building a site with RWD from the start is key (if you are truly interested in RWD).

3) Tools like DW (MS Expression and others) often create unnecessary code. This means that a) sometimes there is stuff that just doesn't need to be there and b) it can be challenging at times for other designers or maybe even you as the original designer, to decipher the page.

Keeping code "clean" is very important. You can have clean code in DW, you just have to be diligent about it. Don't assume that DW (or other programs like it) will give you the cleanest pages by default. This is where #1 comes in handy.

4) Understanding the "why" is just as important as understanding the "how." This is perhaps a mix of both theory and tech. Memorizing bits of code or a button to use in DW, while a short-cut, will hinder progress in understanding and "doing" design, than if you understand why a bit of code is doing what it does. And again, I think this falls back to #1.

5) Courses in color theory, Typography, and UX are extremely helpful. This is the theory aspect of design and is a focus on the "why." This plus #1 is what sets apart the "good" from the "bad and ugly".

6) As to whether or not you should learn JS/Jquery...that depends on your goals. Do you want to develop your own site, maybe some for friends/family? Probably not necessary. But if you are wanting to make money in design, then learning JS may be very beneficial.

-----

Obviously, there are more tips that may be relevant, but this thread isn't really about that.

So, about RWD...I've just taken this course on Udemy.com (which hosts a variety of courses from university professors and training institutions), by Infinite Skills (the training company for this particular course): https://www.udemy.com/learning-responsive-web-design/

Here's the wireframe for that project: http://jeremylewis.net/ (w/o the viewport meta as I was testing it, I'll add that in later, but for demonstration purposes, you can get the point of what is being taught in the class).

It doesn't use DW, it is all coding by hand. This is beneficial because it explains the "why" and the "how." It's a 3 size RWD (you can test it by resizing the window, the layout changes accordingly).

I'm not saying you need this course to do RWD. It's an option. There are freebie courses out there too. Udemy.com also has plenty of JS and JQuery courses. Some are free, some cost, some are discounted 60-80%. I own quite a few courses from there, so I get access to the big deals all the time. If you are wanting more info or even some deals or recommendations from there, pm me. I can probably get you a good deal just by gifting you some discount codes they send me (but don't use).

---------

Udemy has some courses that are free, many have a cost though. If you are wanting a no-cost solution for JS or Jquery, then tryhttp://www.codecademy.com/learn. They teach much more than just JS/JQuery. Also have some great lessons on hand coding HTML/CSS if interested.

CAW

Great Advice Thank You

As you can see, I am totally new. Within just this summer we learned about HTML, then CSS and then Dreamweaver.

I am an older learner, and am trying something new. Right now I just want to practice creating websites.

I want to thank both responses for the great advice and the time you folks took to consider the needs of a beginner.

One very good statement has me considering what if DW is not available.

Because of this, I am going to spend the fall semester practicing what I have learned in HTML and CSS. Dreamweaver can sometimes be a bit confusing with all the buttons and immediate injection of script.

I want to be able to sit down and create what I need from Notepad++ or TextWrangler by hand.

I think once I get a handle on all the new information I was taught during the summer semester, then I will be more comfortable with starting into JavaScript.

Thank you again for your kind responses.

Also, thank you very much for the links, as I will be checking these out. It seems that a person can learn as much online as in a class, though it is alway good to have a teacher to ask questions of and to challenge my knowledge.

RDB

I would personally lean JS as it is all knowledge. If you are learning HTML and CSS and want to use a something other than DW. Try Sublime Text I highly recommend it.

Mshockey

Plus, DW puts it in for you, if you want to use it.

^ I hope that quote worked correctly, I'm new to the forum posting stuff, but I really like it!

DW also puts in the CSS and the HTML for you.

I thought I may point that out to you. Even though I'm sure you already know this. I believe JS is going to be pretty essential when designing a website using Text Wrangler (WooWoo!). If you are wanting to get into mobile web design you may want to look into RWD (Responsive Web Design). This will allow you to make one site that is responsive to multiple devices (iphone, droid, windows phone, tablets, other smart phone, desktops, laptops, etc., etc, etc.)

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
DW is great as long as you dont let it do any JS/HTML/CSS for you.
it will only end in pain.

+1 for sublime as well.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another +1 for Sublime.

I can't stand DW myself. It's the gateway drug for crap like Wix.