Should I get a html editor?

cafiend

I am a newbie to web design and I signed up with a hosting co with templates to design with, the 2 programs, Plesk Sitebuilder and Site Studio seem limited to what you can do, and there are thousands of available templates but I dont know html, I've looked at a couple of downloads like coffee cup editor, but not sure which way to go.

andrewcy2004

you dont need to know html to edit and modify a template. just go download or buy frontpage, the easiest and user friendly web application by microsoft to edit an html page and work on your template area. the software will automatically convert any changes to html byitself. no html or programming experience is necessary from your part. let me know if you have any questions and i ll help you

LouTheDesigner

As a professional web designer, running my own web design business, I have to HIGHLY recommend one of Adobe's products -- namely Dreamweaver. Their software is expensive, but very much worth the money.

Don't even deal with frontpage. Dreamweaver will unleash the hidden web designer in you, and it offers so much that it's almost unbelievable.

Don't let people tell you that WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editors are for rookies. That is just their pathetic attempt to sound macho and pseudo-intellectual.

Once you visit Adobe's website, you'll notice some high prices. If you do a search on craigslist, however, you'll notice people selling Adobe's entire CS for less than $100.

I couldn't recommend it more.

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
+1 to Lou, don't use FrontPage :D

DW is a much better option, and learning basic HTML (markup) is not too difficult, I suggest you look into it if you want to be editing templates. It not a must, but a strong recommendation.

bcee

As a professional web designer, running my own web design business, I have to HIGHLY recommend one of Adobe's products -- namely Dreamweaver. Their software is expensive, but very much worth the money.

Don't even deal with frontpage. Dreamweaver will unleash the hidden web designer in you, and it offers so much that it's almost unbelievable.

Don't let people tell you that WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editors are for rookies. That is just their pathetic attempt to sound macho and pseudo-intellectual.

Once you visit Adobe's website, you'll notice some high prices. If you do a search on craigslist, however, you'll notice people selling Adobe's entire CS for less than $100.

I couldn't recommend it more.

Couldn't agree more. I can code in notepad, wow, but I am much faster in a program like Dreamweaver.

orangecopper

if Open source, Do a Google for free HTML editor, You will find Plenty. or you can even use Frontpage that comes with windows XP or before, But if you want the right one : Go for DREAMWEAVER, what most the PROs use and its the best.

Cheers
Joshu

bloggerboy

If you're new to web design, then you should definitely get Dreamweaver. Although it's a little advanced, it's easy to comprehend and makes web design a lot less tedious.

If you have a passion for coding, but don't have the money to buy DW, then you should use Notepad 2 or Notepad++. Both are available for FREE download.

With Notepad 2, there's a feature that allows you to view your code in different colors to differentiate the ELEMENT, ATTRIBUTE, and VALUE of each tag. This helps you easily spot any mistakes. You'd have to manually set this up when you first launch Notepad 2. If my memory is correct it should be OPTION > SELECT SCHEME > WEB SOURCE CODE.

Notepad++ is a bit more advanced and can be used to code in many different languages such as Javascript, PHP, etc.

Hope this helps.