Should i even consider IE before publishing? It destroys my whole design!

krymson

Yes... unfortunately you always have to consider IE as is it what 80% of people use today. Learn about IE hacks... They will help you. But nothing below IE9 accepts HTML5 and CSS3... I;m looking forward to IE10 though now that they bought out netscape... should have some nice new features and more compatibility with HTML5 and CSS3

dustin_arix

IE is like the big elephant in the room of design - you can only ignore it for so long before it smashes everything and eats your salad.

CaldwellYSR

Personally I'd just make sure the site "works" in IE and not try to give it the bells and whistles like you would in all the other browsers. As long as the content is laid out in a way that makes sense it won't matter if it doesn't have rounded corners or something special like that.

DotCom

What the **** Microsoft. How are you going to be the leaders in the computer industry and be behind on development. What kind of honkey is that...seriously. WOW guess im not using round edges. That really sucks.

PS i have 9 i thought i had 7.

thank yall.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm looking forward to IE10 though now that they bought out netscape
???

look if the only way to IMPROVE IE is to acquisition a 10-15 year old competitor (which incidently was only marginally better than their flagship IE6) than that is a huge worry.

My guess if they've finally realised trident is a dud. go back to where it all began, rip apart gecko and build firefox MKII (branded as IE), as it stands IE is a train wreck. Horrible CSS2.1, no HTML5 or CSS3 support at all in IE8 and below.
IE9 ONLY works if you are on windows 7 and that is shutting out the vast majority of their rusted on users. by the time the majority of XP users are on win 7, they will have usually moved on far more accessible browsers, that dont punish or force you to use a certain operating system.

80% is an extreme number though! unless you are a web designer in rural china.
Chrome AND Firefox are both globally more popular now than any standalone version of IE.

According to Statcounter for the past 12 months
IE and Firefox have both lost market share
IE 45% > 34%
FF 29% > 25%

note that in this time firefox released several (IMHO) premature buggy releases which has hurt there core user group who have since left, generally speaking, to use chrome which was the biggest mover going up from 17% > 30%

In this time as well IE9 was only just in its infancy and was touted as the saviour of IE.

Its increase in popularity over this time has been slightly below par of chromes increase, but generally speaking they all bounce up from 0>15% without much effort. you should see the amount of new folk using IE9 to begin to slow considerably soon.

in this same time IE8 went from 30% > 16%, IE7 went from 10% > 3%, and IE6 went from 4% > 1%, with any luck in 12 months time both IE6 + IE7 will be as good as dead, IE8 will be under 10% and IE9 I think will struggle to pip 20%.
Firefox if they continue with rubbish releases will continue to lose market share and too will also be sitting around the 20% mark, and more and more will use chrome (for the sake of this arguement I've left out opera and safari for the simple fact that in 5 years I can almost safely say that Opera Market share will be approx 2%, safari approx 6%) once it gets above 50-60% of users using chrome, it'll be all over browser wars II will be won.

now returning full circle to the original quote.
netscape burnt out in the late 90's and as a result IE6 took a massive market share. The irony of this acquisition is that it is now firefox (the spawned love child of Netscape) that is looking tired...

CaldwellYSR

What the **** Microsoft. How are you going to be the leaders in the computer industry and be behind on development. What kind of honkey is that...seriously. WOW guess im not using round edges. That really sucks.

PS i have 9 i thought i had 7.

thank yall.

I think you misunderstood me.... use the rounded borders in all the major browsers besides IE and then just make sure it looks okay in IE. You can still use the rounded borders and the people using IE will be none the wiser. They won't miss it because they won't know it was supposed to be rounded.

Basically don't let Microsoft ruin your design... design your site for the other major browsers, get it to where you like it. And then go look at how bad it is in IE and run enough damage control to make it passable in IE and not break anything in the other browsers and you're set.

DotCom

I think you misunderstood me.... use the rounded borders in all the major browsers besides IE and then just make sure it looks okay in IE. You can still use the rounded borders and the people using IE will be none the wiser. They won't miss it because they won't know it was supposed to be rounded.

Basically don't let Microsoft ruin your design... design your site for the other major browsers, get it to where you like it. And then go look at how bad it is in IE and run enough damage control to make it passable in IE and not break anything in the other browsers and you're set.

Dude....**** Microsoft! It shouldn't have to be that way.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dude....**** Microsoft! It shouldn't have to be that way.
ay, but it is.
and it isn't anything new, they've been flying their own flag since the very beginning. Never have and (most likely) never will play fair with the others.

you really only have 8 as the pain. As users on IE6+7 are so miniscule these days its hardly worth worrying about, although IE8 is a different beast entirely. and yes CSS3 hahahaha! it'll never happen.

anna

Yes, IE sucks, and yes, standards matter, but you should design for the browsers your users are using. Don't use hacks, use an external stylesheet. I'm not saying your site must look exactly the same across all browsers but you should consult your analytics for reference. If a majority of your users are using IE7...