Shopping Carts?

Airehk

I'm not sure where to ask this, but if someone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm working on a website that is selling a product, but here's the issue. When someone orders a product, they could be in the same town or on the other side of the world. The shipping price would be different.

Here I have a paypal "buy now" button. I can set up a shipping rate based on what? Local? International?

I need to find out how to create a paypal "buy now" button that allows for adjustable shipping, because obviously it's not a flat rate everywhere in the world, it fluctuates. I want to make sure the shipping amount is at what it should be depending on who is ordering from where.

I already have the button set up, I just need help with this paypal shipping button issue.

Thanks.

Airehk

Would a lazy solution to this perhaps be to mane the "buy now" button merely link to an ebay account where the product could be bought there? I figure the shipping calculator with ebay would work, wouldn't it?
I know this is a weird topic thats not based on design but its related.

chrishirst

Staff member
If the product is being sold via ebay then, yes.

Other than than the site has to calculate shipping costs before payment is taken.

Airehk

You would think PayPal had some automatic shipping calculator widget or something..

Is there some pre-written code that does these shipping calculations based on the buyer's ip or something? If there is, I can use it.

Last edited:

chrishirst

Staff member
You would think PayPal had some automatic shipping calculator widget or something..
For every country and every single carrier that exists??

Paypal "Buy Now" are for simple transactions where your system does any shipping calculations necessary

If you want something more, then you need to use a catalogue system that already has shipping calculators that you can configure or modules that use APIs from various carriers to do the calculations that can be added.

Is there some pre-written code that does these shipping calculations based on the buyer's ip or something? If there is, I can use it.

http://www.ip2location.com/

Also just about every carrier has a API that your system can 'hook' into.