separating an object from background

Discussion in 'Graphic Design' started by leepster, Jul 16, 2013.

to remove all ads.
  1. leepster

leepster New Member

seems like an easy thing to do if the object is easy to select, right? i've seen tutorials for selecting objects like hair but what about a net or a basket or a tennis racket? or a wire container? seems like no matter which way i think about doing the action, its a pain to select all the wires in these group of pictures i need to photoshop. right now, i'm using the technique of quick mask mode, line tool and paint brush tool for the round edges. anybody have a suggestion on a faster way or a shortcut?

2. chrishirst

chrishirst Well-Known Member Staff Member

A big screen and a steady hand with the "magic wand".

3. d a v e

d a v e New Member

pen tool probably
    link to image would help

4. notarypublic

notarypublic New Member

Depends on what you need the final result for - if you need a vector out of it, I would use the pen tool. If you just need the selection, try doing a select by color - like so.

5. lindavictoria

lindavictoria New Member

I guess sometimes it's easier to use the pen tool, to select the small unwanted areas, like the space between grids in a basket, then hit the 'Del' button to remove pixels there. And for the larger areas you may use magic wand, however, to be accurate, it's better to set smaller tolerance, I sometimes even set it as '1px'. Hope these works for you.

6. d a v e

d a v e New Member

could also use a channels mask too but depends on teh contrast