SEO with phasing out old site and making new site with same content.

Jon

I do not want to use a 301 redirect because my old site may have been penalized and is not performing well any more.

I want to phase out 1 site, and create a new site, with a new URL, and new hosting, but with the same content as the old site. I want to avoid any penalties from google by having duplicate content on 2 different sites. I don't care about people mistakenly going to the old site and not having a means of contacting me. So I was thinking of changing the content of site 1 (the old site) to read simply "under construction", and creating a new site with the same content that was on the old site.
I know there are other ways of changing URLs, forwarding, 301 redirect, and so on, but I specifically want to do it this way.
Do you think there will be any google violations in doing this? What if google has the content of the old site cached - so even if I change the content of the old site to read simply "under construction", the cached version will have the same content as the new site? Do you think this will pose any problems in terms of google organic search engine optimization? The new site will have basically the exact same content as the old one, but will be written in such a way that it won't violate any regulations.
Again, I am not concerned about old customers going to the old site and not being able to reach me. I am not looking to forward the site, or redirect it. I want to start fresh with a new site.
Thanks for any help.

seothomas

Here is what you should do....

first of all the new site must have fresh content....if you just move it over without a 301 then you will get no credit for it and it will be considered duplicate.

or take all the old stuff...put it on the new site..then 301 redirect to old. The under construction thing is a bad idea!

now you may have gotten a penalty by doing something on page that hurt your first site...so be careful there.

elcape

if you copy the web site probably will copy also the reason why you get penalized for so

like thomas you will better by just doing a fresh start ;)

scottg

If you're not concerned about losing rankings, then starting fresh is the best way to go. Add a message to each page notifying visitors of the switch. Then do 301 redirects on the old site once the new site is finished.

MaryEd

it's good to have a new domain with a new hosting .. why don't you think of having a new fresh orignal content as well. now you'll be able to have a totally new start. However, if you just copied the old content, and reused it once again, then as mentioned earlier here, most probably you'll be banned by Google yet once again. I believe this will be very disappointing this time. Right?