Search problem

zixserro

Not sure if this belongs here or in the SEO forum; if it belongs there, either move it there or let me know so I can remake this thread there.

Anyway, here's my problem: I created a site that had a placeholder set up until the design was finished. The placeholder was just a black screen with some text and a title that basically said the site was coming soon. That was all fine.

Now the site is up, and that text is still there.

Rather than using the titles, descriptions, and even meta tags that I put into the site after realizing this problem, it still says the same things it said when it was a placeholder site, and I can't figure out why or what to do. If you click on the site in Google it goes to the correct page (which has a slew of problems on its own at the moment), and I can't find any evidence of the old site in any of the files related to it.

Is there any way to fix this? Do I have to do something to the old placeholder site file? I have no idea what to do...

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
if your referring to your google results. wait a week.
if it hasn't reupdated to the new content then...
how long ago did you make the change?

krymson

As phreaddee said, wait a week, if you're needing to recover info and files, depending on how long the changes were made, you can search in google "site:sitename.com" see what Google has cached. if it's not what you want, wait a week and you should see the new cached version... if you really need info or files from the previous site and you dont have access to them well... sorry to say you're SOL...

zixserro

It was... about two weeks ago. I just added the meta tags yesterday, so it may work yet.

Another weird thing: when I search for the site by name, it's the first site that pops up, but it doesn't have the "www." in front of it. Could that have something to do with it?

Gavin

Sometimes the issue could be due to ISP caches. I remember changing to a new template and design only to find two versions of the website when viewed using different ISP. Maybe try to get help from friends and find out what the page looks like. A quick screen capture will do. Usually the whole process of clearing the cache and using a new one shouldn't take more than few days.

Also, if you are referring to google cache, it's the same old thing. You just have to wait.