Search functions

welshmaverick

Hi

My 1st post so any help would be great.
I am currently designing a website and want to be able to add a search function for items on my site. I am using dreamweaver 8.
I will openly admit i dont know much about scripts etc and am designing the site using the WYSIWYG function.
I have seen the free ones from google etc. but i dont like that you have the option to search the web with these - thus adding the possiblility of taking customers away from my site.

I also would like to know what services i need from a hosting company to allow it to work.

Thanks
Mav

joe

Hi

My 1st post so any help would be great.
I am currently designing a website and want to be able to add a search function for items on my site. I am using dreamweaver 8.
I will openly admit i dont know much about scripts etc and am designing the site using the WYSIWYG function.
I have seen the free ones from google etc. but i dont like that you have the option to search the web with these - thus adding the possiblility of taking customers away from my site.

I also would like to know what services i need from a hosting company to allow it to work.

Thanks
Mav

Mav,
I'm not big on dreamweaver (I stick with notepad because I require more control), but I'm familar on this subject. There are tutorials out on the web that show you how to build your own search function. It's not easy, but it's not hard. It also depends on what you want to search. Do you want to search only your site or the entire internet? You'll need to pick up either php, asp, or jsp and some knowledge on database interaction if you're wanting to do this on your own. Your hosting company should support one of the 3 scripting languages mentioned above and provide you with a database. If you have any other questions just let me know. Or maybe someone else knows if there is something in dreamweaver that does it all for you?

Kozmo

I think you can remove the web option on the Google Search, prolly your best bet with the least investment to obtain your goal.