screen resolution

Manganix

Hi,

I just started learning HTML/CSS and I'm currently starting to design a website.

I started with a screen resolution of 1024*700, but since I'd like to host hd-videos (1280*800) on the website, I wonder if I should design the overall website in 1280*800 as well?

Statistics show that the majority of the users have a screen resolution of at least 1280*800 and above.

What is your experience with this matter and which resolution do you use on your projects?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and tips! ;-)

alloydog

Wouldn't it be better to have a smaller "preview" size, such as in YouTube, and give the viewer the option of enlarging the video to suit them?

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
You're living in the past, just a bit. The trick isn't what resolution to design for, but to design for all of them. Start by creating a fluid design, then use media queries to make it responsive. In other words, don't design around the size of the video. Design the site, then add the video. There are 2 options for that. You can go the Youtube route, like alloydog said, or there's fitvids.js, which will make your videos responsive to the window size.