Safari + JS bug -- disappearing divs

mook

I'm working on a new internal index for my college.

http://www.warren-wilson.edu/internal/dev/original/

As far as I know, it works great in Firefox, Opera, and IE. However, Safari (v.3.1.2) is having serious issues with my code.

Here's an example:
  1. Notice the link well in the lower 2/3 of the page (dark area). The links should filter out when you begin typing in the large search box located above them.
  2. Upon typing, all of the links just disappear. You may think, as I did, that this is a problem with the AJAX script returning the appropriate data. On the contrary, the information is all there, it is just hidden behind the rest of the page.
  3. Show Safari's Web Inspector through the "Develop" menu (not enabled by default) or by pressing Command-Option-i. Now, click the little button in the bottom left, causing the inspector to fuze with the current browser window.
  4. Notice how all of the links re-appear.

This bug baffles me. I have tried altering the z-index of the disappearing divs and have reviewed my javascript. I cannot seem to fix this problem!

Also, to show that it is not just the AJAX scripts, if you click on the "World News", "Local News", or "National News" buttons at the top right corner of the page, it should show drop-down link menus. However, those are typically hidden as well.

The really funny thing is that, every once in a while, the page works fine in Safari!

WTF?!?!

Please help! Thank you in advance!
Wes

Last edited:

starteasy

HAHAHA! Thats GOLD! Sorry for laughing, but I thought Id post to share in your misery with Safari/Opera issues. I hope someone here is able to help!

mook

UPDATE:

After making the background transparent, I determined that the divs were hiding behind the body of the page.

By setting the z-index of the body to -1, I somewhat affected the bug, making it work about 80% of the time for later versions of Safari. However, Version 3.1.2 (4525.22) still has the same issues, unaffected by my light fix.

Last edited: