Russell Desitgn Studios

scootergrisen

1. The dashed borders sucks to ditch just remove them.

2. the text on the top "affordable web design products and services" i cant hardly read it. try using a font that looks better at smaller size i think verdana, tahoma or something is nice and white font on the yellow-is background sucks so do something about the colors maby just use black font like you do the rest of the page.

3. the font at the bottom 2 linies looks not good. i use opera and it looks pixelated maby your browser antialias it so it looks nice i dont know.

4. put more content on the site it looks very emtpy

frinkky

For starters, your markup doesn't validate, 43 errors. For a web designer, thats a priority. Your css is ok though, so thats a start.

You're pretty safe with the general colour scheme, dark gray and lime, although I'd take scootergrisen's advice and make the "affordable" text stand out more. The Graphic Design/Testimonial/Samples section looks messy, nothing has its own clearly defined space and doesn't up.

If I was you I'd sit down with pen and paper and knock out some site layouts away from the computer first. With a bit of forethought and time you could prdouce yourself an impressive homepage - its just unfortunate the other pages are just links out. Adding separate pages for different sections would help add credibility to your site.

Anyway, just some ideas to get ya started ;)

Midgard

heads.gif

This is unified background which should suit all the titles, but it doesn't. The example is title "Graphic Design". So try to create several bars for each title.
And borders rly sux. Remove them, as it was said before :)

flaminglogos

Calvin,

I like the overall design, and I think the dashed borders aren't THAT bad. Dashed or not, they do break up your page elements, and the menu is outside of the border, so it feels like it's not an important element. Perhaps the menu could be inside the first section or the border could surround all the content and not each piece individually?

As frinkky said, you've got a lot of validation errors. But most of them are easy to fix.

Your DOCTYPE is set to XHTML 1.1 which is a pretty strict standard. You might relax that to XHTML 1.0 Transitional--see the class A List Apart article for the syntax. That gets rid of five errors right away.

Then make sure that you're following the basic rules that are different between HTML and XHTML:
1. All tags and attributes in lowercase: "title" not "TITLE", "meta name=" not "META NAME="
2. Close all tags, including "empty" ones: <meta ... /> with the final slash
3. Encode all ampersand and less than characters
After those fixes you're down to 15 errors, and they're mostly about the ampersands in the URLs in your links at the bottom and fact that the "embed" tag is not standards compliant. See code.google.com/p/swfobject/ for a workaround.

I agree with Midgard that the backgrounds for the sections need to be stretch for the longer "Graphic Design" header (it looks fine in WinXP IE and Mac Firefox, but is crowded in WinXP Firefox). See the many "rounded corner" tutorials online for how to use several images to outline elements of differing sizes. Then test in several browsers.

Also, consider some way of separating your links at the bottom. Only after hovering over them can I tell where one ends and the next one begins.

Good luck!
Alan