Rules on borrowing material

Discovermypath

Hello all,

I'm new to designing websites and I have an idea for a website that involves the Air Force(which I'm currently in). I want to create a web site that helps people study there PDG, which is a book we have to study and test on in order to move up in rank.

My question is about the legal aspects of posting some of the material in the book on a web site. If I was to show proper references and link back to the source, would I be okay to post this kind of stuff on a site that I create?

This could go for any source for any website for that matter. If you show proper reference back to the person/business's site, can you borrow some of there material?

I'm just wondering what is okay to do and what is not okay to do as far as this goes.

Anyways, any advice or knowledge on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

chrishirst

Staff member
This could go for any source for any website for that matter. If you show proper reference back to the person/business's site, can you borrow some of there material?
Nope!! you CANNOT "use" their material UNLESS you have explicit permission from the copyright owner, the material is "Public Domain" or it is released under a Creative Commons license.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Being Air Force myself, I can tell you that you should be able to find exactly what you're allowed to do on the website in question. Most of those websites have a page that explains it all. IIRC, AFIs, AFMANs, etc are free to use as references, but to be safe, contact them here to be sure.

Discovermypath

Thanks for the feedback. I only ask because you see a lot of fan made sites for shows and what not, and I wonder if they legitimately got permission to use certain images and content.

Discovermypath

i dont think its okay in any kind of matter that you would copy anyone's material you could immitate it in your own words thats a good possiblity

I agree completely. What about referencing books? Say I write an article on my web page about something and I quote something out of a book. Is it okay to use that if you use proper reference?

CaldwellYSR

I agree completely. What about referencing books? Say I write an article on my web page about something and I quote something out of a book. Is it okay to use that if you use proper reference?

Yeah you can pull quotes from books if you use the proper reference. You can't, however, copy an entire article. So as long as you're writing your own thoughts and just using the book for reference it should be fine. Just like a research essay in school.

Discovermypath

Yeah you can pull quotes from books if you use the proper reference. You can't, however, copy an entire article. So as long as you're writing your own thoughts and just using the book for reference it should be fine. Just like a research essay in school.

Thanks CaldwellYSR, I figured as much just wanted to verify.

chrishirst

Staff member
Yep that is ok. Under copyright law that falls into the "derivative work" classification, as it is a "new creative work based on a previously published and original, copyrighted work.

You may quote the original work when used as a frame of reference, but simply reusing whole sections verbatim would fall foul of the copyright.