Rules of page layout/design???

macandal

Hello all. I'm a newbie, first time poster. I'm in the process of planning my website. I've read a lot on html, css, planning, organizing, etc, but I have never read anything about (forgive me but I don't know what they're called, so I'll do my best to explain) HOW to design a page of, say, text. What I mean by design is actually the do's and don't's of a page. For example, "a page should not be more than [enter the appropriate form of measure] long (vertical/horizontal)," "an article should not extend beyond X number of pages," etc. Things of that nature. What a page should specifically look like. What is this called? Is this "architecture" or what? Where can I read more about THAT? Books, websites, etc? I would appreciate any help on that. Thanks.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
as long as its legible, concise and too the point there is not too many "rules" for text only pages. although you certainly don't want your lines to extend too long, or be to close together etc. it needs to be balanced.

what you are after is more general design principles that work and extend across both print and web mediums, and general web typography.

this link might interest you
http://webtypography.net/

I would also read a few articles from both these sites too
alistapart.com
smashingmagazine.com