Review My New Site

conor

Hi,

I would apprechiate any reviews of my new site and a bit of constructive criticsm.

http://www.thestrats.com

Also I would like you state a reasonable price that you would charge to develope something simular.

Cheers

Erni

mm... This red background makes me feel sad :)
Looks like this is a simple wordpress installations with some custom Theme.
So development consists mostly in Theme making. For wordpress it would take about three days or even one day if you know what you are doing. If I want $200 a day - it will be $200-$600 :)

conor

yeah thats it exactly - a simple wordpress theme. But that is exactly what the client wanted. A simple easy to use CMS and a simple user friendly layout. The red was his idea (I advised him against it - but at the end of the day he is paying for it so he can have whatever he wants).

I got paid €150 for this project but in fairness I had no portfolio to show him. I will charge a fixed rate (subject to the client not changing his mind) of €300 next time, which i think is reasonable price.

adamblan

I think you'd be better off consolidating some of your pages here - try dividing it into News/ Reviews, Shop/Listen/Book. Even better, just put all of the content on the index page - there really just isn't enough content to justify separate pages.
On the code end of things;
tables are a no-no,
meta tags are missing,
site doesn't validate

conor

the content is not up to me. He gave me content, told me that he wanted these pages and I made them. He has a CMS so he can edit content whenever he wants.

As for justifying the pages, I personally tend to make small pages that you don't need to do a lot of scrolling on and that don't have to much content. Its just a matter of opinion...

what do you mean by tables are a no-no? what tables are you talking about in particular?

It is my understanding that meta tags are automatically generated by wordpress. I didn't realise that they were missing. i'll try and fix it but if i cant i'll just add them manually.

I didn't really deal majorly with code in this site. I just used the standard kubrick theme and edited it to my needs. thanks for making me aware that it doesn't validate, i'll check it out and do the fixes.

adamblan

Tables are a no-no because they violate the best practice of separating content from layout; you've used them in the header & footer instead of sticking w/ css.
Also, instead of loading 6 separate pages with a single paragraph each, why not use accordion style widgets (or similar), or load the content dynamically w/ AJAX?
Anyway, good luck with it
-Adam

Geodun1

Overall, I don't like how the page falls together graphically. The footer is a little jagged, and the rounded box doesn't fit right with the page. You should try to focus on making it a single rounded box (the entire page is a rounded box) with smaller rounded boxes within this larger box containing all of your content. That generally helps to keep things pleasing to the eyes and helps the page's flow.

conor

yeah I agree. i'll keep that in mind for my next project. I don't really like rounded boxes myself but there almost compulsory at the moment. That idea i got from the kubrik theme (the default theme when you install wordpress).

I can't wait till browsers start introducing CSS3 then I can to all my rounded tables in CSS!

pingeyeg

Hmm... I'm not really liking it. The background is a bit strong and there really isn't much detail for creativity to the site. I would charge maybe $100 for something like that (homepage).